El3ctron S4V full Aluminum Case might be causing extre data suffrage!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by wink2010, Oct 19, 2011.

1. wink2010 macrumors newbie

iPhone 4S 64G White AT&T

I want to start off with how much I love this case! It feels as if it is a part of the phone. Totally solid, and love the contrast of the chrome front and Blue back with a light wood grain back protector from element. It doesn't even look like the iPhone 4 design anymore, which is perfect due to the extreme want of a redesign.

I purchased this case due to peoples' reviews and the design of the plastic spacers to essentially make the phone never touch the aluminum which is best for reception! Cheaper than vapor, and absolutely no contact on metal on metal. I was sold!

Since installing it Monday night, I obviously noticed signal loss. I live in a very rural area of Coldwater,Michigan (edge data) and I believe there is only one tower for AT&T, which I live about 3-5 miles away from. So put the distance of that tower and add it to apple's formula to calculate the display of signal bars then multiple adding a full aluminum bumper case.

I haven't really had time to play with data speeds up until today when I'm headed to Florida in a car ride of 14 hours. This morning I was on the highway headed south on 1-69 almost to the border of Indiana. I tried to read macrumors real quick and twitter, and nothing was loading... At all! "the web page has failed due to lack of contact with server". I was previously able to download the website in about 40 seconds or so in that same spot without the case. I then decided to turn off the phone normally and try again. Same message occurred. I then decided on a forced restart. Same message popped up. I decided to try again when I was by 3G.

I just ran some tests while on the highway of 1-69 and the junction of 465. I do understand that while moving data speeds are slower, blah blah blah. Also note that my iPhone 4S has the iPhone 4 sim card installed if anyone wanted to know.

I ran four tests, and to my knowledge Indianapolis, IN is "4G" enabled, if I am correct? So I should be expecting high data downloads and uploads.

I do not have the screwdriver to take off the case and try the tests again, because I didn't notice a problem in the first place. Obviously I do not have an opportunity to conduct an actual valid experiment on this. I thought I would share my differences with everyone else, along with any feedback.

I am on my phone so I can't post a screen shot. But the averages were about 2mps download, and .99 for upload.

----------

Also, I put my phone I to field test mode right after the tests, and it was at -100

2. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

What?

I'm shocked, shocked that building a Faraday cage around an iPhone attenuates signal!?!? :eek:

3. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Honestly this is not a shocker - ALL of the all aluminum cases have some level of signal degredation. I know E13tron also has a hybrid model that might work better for you....

4. Brazzy macrumors regular

I have the hybrid E13ectron and it doesn't seem to affect the signal strength at all