Elaboration on AT&T new upgrade rule

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Can anyone elaborate on AT&T so called new upgrade rule?

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

There is a new rule?

3. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

There's has been talk about this new rule. Anyone have confirmation?

Will there still be partial upgrades for iPhone @ $200 + ?

4. sullez macrumors 6502

Well I checked a line that I added onto my plan in March 2011 and I can get the 16gb 4gs @ 450 dollars.

5. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Right a 'partial' upgrade.

There was a couple people posting that this is last shot even for partials, that you'll have to wait a full 24 months to upgrade.

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

This is very important.

In April 2011 ATT changed it's upgrade policy.

"high value customers...read $99 primary line voice/data excludes texts" normally get upgrades every 12 months while secondary lines or this primary lines less than $99 (before taxes) must wait 18-21 months.

So after you use this one last upgrade (if eligible) . Once you use you last upgrade you won't be able to upgrade again for another 20 months.

So be very careful using your last upgrade if you are primary account holder ($99).

Do not assume if you are upgrading this Friday that you will be eligible to upgrade again in 12 months.

Please do a google search over on Howard forums. ATT slowly implemented this policy this past Spring.

7. sullez macrumors 6502

Yeah - Thankfully my main line is ready for a full upgrade!

8. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Looks like early upgrade will still be available @ $250 +, originally it was $200 +.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

This was changed in April. I'm sure it will remain the same just for the iPhone, hopefully.

10. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just dial *639# and find out.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The early-upgrades that we see now (e.g. if the revenue for a given phone - not the whole family plan, just the portion dedicated to that phone - exceeds $100/mo you can generally upgrade in about a year) are rumored to be going away soon, so that if (for example) you get an iPhone 4S now on an early upgrade, you will not be eligible for fully-subsidized upgrade again for 24 (or I've also seen 20) months.

I've seen lots of anecdotal, third-hand, hearsay discussions but if there has been any concrete evidence that this is going to happen (or even a solid rumor from any tech columnists that have a generally good track record with predictions), I haven't found it.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

U can always buy full price and sell you current phone.

13. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

The change is $250 on top of the 2 yr contract price. Also you will have to have completed at least 6 months of your previous contract. The upgrading once a year for high revenue rate plans is gone as well, once you upgrade this time on... The same for the account holder that was allowed to upgrade yearly. Everyone has to wait 20 months unless they do the exceptional upgrade(i.e. $250 + 2yr price).

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

This is a fact. The reason it hasn't been reported often is because so many ATT users eligible for an upgrade (this who nornmally get 12 month upgrade cycles) have been holding off on their upgrade because they were waiting for the 5th generation iPhone.

Over on Howard forums and over on android forums people have complained after using their upgrade on an Atrix, Infuse 4g etc that their upgrade cycle didn't reset to the normal 12 month eligiblity even after owning those phones for 2-3 month.

So don't be shocked and I am sure iPhone customers on ATT will be complaining once they upgrade to the 4s expecting to be eligible for another upgrade next October 2012. They will have to wait about 20 months like the rest of the secondary line users and those who use less than $99.

As an aside. Sprint got rid of their premier 12 month upgrade also

15. mholtz2323 macrumors member

So, if I wanted to use my full upgrade now for the iPhone 4s, will I be able to get an early upgrade 6 months into my contract for what we presume will be the iPhone 5?

I purchase an iPhone 4S for $200.
    6 months in I have an early upgrade.
    I can sell my 4S and use the early upgrade for the iPhone 5?

I know it seems crazy, but hoping we might see a bigger screen. Otherwise I will stay the the 4S.

I have a $70 monthly bill.

16. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Will there be a 'partial' $250+ upgrade so one can be able to upgrade in 12 months?

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

U qualify for partial $250 plus upgrade after 6 month. You don't have to wait 12 months. It used to be 60 days for partial upgrades but ATT is getting more strict.

Please note that you can only use a partial upgrade once every 2 years. That means if you want to use a partial upgrade tomorrow ($450 partial price) and if new iPhone cones out next summer/fall ATT will not give you the $450 partia
    Upgrade price and you would have to wait 20 months for the full subsidy upgrade.

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Can you tell me where it says partial upgrades are only available every 2 yrs?

19. gigemzach macrumors 6502

I really hope this isn't true... I want to upgrade to the 4S but then I also want to upgrade to the 5. This just ruined everything for me...

20. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The Early Upgrade is an iPhone-only deal, and is not addressed at all in the Terms & Conditions of the contract. I interpret that to mean that it's offered "at will", and they are under no obligation to offer it in the future. So no, I don't see anything official saying it is limited to once every two years - but I also don't see anything official saying it will EVER be offered in the future, whether or not you take advantage now. So, it's a gamble either way.

Here is the full text of the offer as shown when I log into my AT&T account:

21. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

You're not in the S cycle wait for the 5.

22. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

If you use your Partial on the 4S you WILL NOT be given a partial upgrade for the 5.. I spoke with an ATT customer service rep as one of my lines that is an iPhone 4 is eligible for a Partial upgrade..

With that information I'm sitting on the partial upgrade and will hold off on upgrading until the 5..

23. Krandor macrumors 6502

That sucks. I liked my 1 year upgrades.

So if I use a full upgrade on the 4S will I then be able to use a partial for the 5?

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I believe this would be case. Be sure you're willing to take that chance. Good luck.