Elago Duro Case - Pictures + Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Munitalp, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Munitalp, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

Munitalp macrumors 65816

My Elago Duro case just arrived from Amazon. So far I think its a great case.

**Its very protective while still remaining slim and easy to put in your pocket.

**Perfectly molded and feels very sturdy and well made.

**The case is a Dual Layer case (similar to the Incipio Dual Pro). This one is semi-hard TPU which surrounds your phone and then the Polycarbonate (blue) backing which fits over that. The TPU is thicker on this so it provides greater protection. The blue backing is very smooth feeling but still provides a grippy texture which makes it easy to grip your phone. Volume + Power buttons are covered and the bottom cutout accommodates a dock.

**There are raised edges on the front (screen side to protect the screen), and there is a molded raised edge in the material on the back to protect the camera.

**This one cost me $16 on Amazon -- honestly I don't think theres a better case out there if you want great protection and a good price. Its basically a hybrid of an Otterbox Commuter + Symmetry case. I have an Spigen Tough Armor for my iPhone 6 and this feels like its even more protective than that (since they made the rubber a lot thinner this year on the Tough Armor). :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I've got a yellow one on the way for times I want more protection than my Apple Silicone case gives me. Unfortunately, they're taking forever to ship it. I ordered it last Wednesday and it still hasn't shipped (despite showing in stock). Amazon assured me it would still be here tomorrow, but we'll see. Good to hear it's a good case. I've always liked Elago cases. (The black Elago Outfit lived on my slate iPhone 5).

3. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Is this correct? The TPU goes over the polycarbonate? Are you sure it isn't the other way around: soft TPU that hugs your phone and Polycarbonate backing for protection?

I should be getting mine today or tomorrow, and i'll provide images well. I ordered the Black/Silver version.

4. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh yeah I mixed it up when I typed it out. Your right :)

5. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

How does it feel in hand? Does it feel at all bulky? Is the rubber "sticky" feeling...easily picking up lint, or is it a more firm TPU?

I'm hoping to use it as my everyday case.

6. AppleKing786 macrumors member

AppleKing786

Thanks for the review and pictures.

Is the lip big enough to protect the screen. In the pictures, it seem to be quite a small lip.

7. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

It feels good, doesn't seem bulky at all to me but I have large hands... it makes it much easier to hold the iPhone or pull it out of your pocket without fear of dropping it. The rubber is slightly sticky, I would say 25% sticky and 75% smooth. More grip than the Incipio Dual Pro. It picks up a small bit of lint sometimes but it just wipes off with your hand, you don't need to use a cloth or anything.

----------

Yeah the lip is raised a good amount and will protect the screen -- its raised a lot more than the Spigen Tough Armor, Incipio Dual Pro, etc. Not as much as the Ballistic Tough Case or Otterbox Defender though. I would say its 1mm or so, i'll measure later.

8. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

I received my Black/Silver version this afternoon. It's a really nice case! Feels plenty sturdy and protective, while not feeling "bulky". I'm thinking it's going to be my everyday case. One additional thing i'm happy to report is that it works great with my Belkin Lightning stand! The cutout at the bottom is probably large enough for other accessories as well.

Photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

How does it compare to, say, an Otterbox commuter on the iPhone 5/5S? Thicker, thinner? I thought the commuter was just a tad thick for me to carry around in my pocket.

10. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

I'm not sure about the Commuter, but it's definitely thinner than my wife's iPhone 5 Defender.

11. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice pics, much better than mine were :cool:

12. cleirac macrumors 6502

Sorry and I am probably the only one who finds that long tunnel hole at the back exposing the camera, terrifyingly funny. It gives that unique look, not good for my picky taste. The sides look plasticky familiar and at the same time exuding that "I am different" sexy look.

13. Munitalp thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah it is kinda weird how it extends out so much, not really sure why they made it so big. Its almost like they were anticipating a larger camera lens sticking out or something? Doesn't bother me much at all though, I got used to it after a few minutes.

14. whirldy macrumors regular

whirldy

We ordered one today from Amazon. The only way to find out about the camera opening will be for us to see in person. ;) ...Easy returns w/ Amazon Prime :)

15. Jman13, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

Jman13 macrumors 68000

Got my yellow one today. I'm not generally a fan of bulky cases (and this is unlikely to be my daily case, but probably my 'I'm going to be outside for a long time' case), but this is really nice. Not too bulky (though definitely not 'slim), beautifully made, tough rubber/TPU like inner with snap on shell that fits perfectly.

I think the flared camera hole is a means of protecting the device. It ensures that the phone won't land flat on the back if it falls that way, ensuring a 'tumble' to reduce the shock to the phone. At least, that's my estimation. Really impressed with the design of this case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh - and someone in my office has the Otterbox commuter on their 6, and the Duro is exactly the same thickness (not counting the small lip on the camera cutout)