Elago S5 Outfit MATRIX

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jkbane, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jkbane, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

jkbane macrumors newbie

jkbane

Elago has a new case in the iPhone 5 lineup the Outfit MATRIX Case! The MATRIX compliments your iPhone 5 with an elegant design. Not only does it look good, it protects. Made of two materials of polycarbonate and aluminum the MATRIX will withstand drops, bumps and scratches. There is a wide choice of color selections. For this review we have the Camo green color.

Protection:

The Matrix is a case that will protect your iPhone 5 from bumps, scrapes and drops. Because of the durable polycarbonate and aluminum the iPhone will survive most drops and everyday use. The entire iPhone is covered with exception of the top and bottom edges. The case is slightly raised above the screen which lets you have the option to lay the iPhone faced down and not worry if the screen or screen protector will get damaged. All four corners are protected. Corner protection is important because many drops happen on the corners.

Your iPhone photography is protected by a design to eliminate the potential of camera ghosting. That means if the case’s camera cutout is not designed to detract light interference from the walls surrounding the camera, the photos could produce a glare or distorted image.

Functionality:

Protection is great but if the case is not functional with the phone it kinda defeats the purpose of the case. The MATRIX works very well with the iPhone’s functionality. All the ports and buttons are easy to access. One of the things I like about Elago is the attention to detail. The cutouts are always precise, not gaudy or misaligned.

The top and bottom are left exposed but the advantage is that there will not be a problem compatibility with adapters, docks or connections.

Pocketability is an important feature I look for in a case. I do not use clips or holsters thus the needed ability to place my phone in my pocket and for the it to slide in and out with ease. The MATRIX is made of a smooth combination of polycarbonate and aluminum which makes it pocketable. While the texture is smooth it does not feel slippery.

Another awesome feature Elago installs on their cases is a coating that resists against oil, dirt and lint. It actually helps reduce fingerprints residue. So the case looks great all the time.

Final Thoughts:

If you are in the market for a case that will not only look good but give everyday use protection the MATRIX case is something I would recommend. I really like the Camo color, it is not a typical cookie cutter color that you will see with most cases. The Camo will give you a touch of unique character for your iPhone. But if Camo is not the color for you there are plenty of color selections to choose from. Most importantly to me the case is protective, looks good and is pocketable.

2. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I am a little "suspicious" over the above comment. As you can see from my pic, I have one of the original Outfit cases which according to their site marketing also contains this supposed coating. As you can see (especially if you open the full size pic), the annodized aluminum back as well as the matte "soft touch" area are *very* succeptible to fingerprints, oil, and dirt. For just a bit of context, I baby my phone and cases and didn't use the Outfit all that much because it would look like that just from normal everyday handling.

Attached Files:

3. jkbane thread starter macrumors newbie

jkbane

I can see where you are coming from with the point that you made. Black will always tell the truth with claim such as being resistant against oils and such. I have not used the Outfit Matrix as my daily driver, but when it is in use it does resist those elements for me. It is not perfect, otherwise would be "proof" not resistant.

Other than that do you like the case?

4. JNGold, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Overall on this case, I am not a fan of the matte feel of the sides and top/bottom sections of the case. I do like the style of the case and have gone ahead and put in an order for the SPIGEN Saturn case which is a very similar design to the Outfit but I beleive is a differnent type of polycarbonate (non-matte).

5. jkbane thread starter macrumors newbie

jkbane

Cool, I just got my hands on a DBAcases Thin Grip and I like it. Simple and feels good in the hand.

6. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

So what the heck is the different between the outfit and this outfit matrix? This one is dirt and oil resistance? Can I send my old one back cuz they should have sell this one in the first place, my white outfit case is not white anymore around the corners

7. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The regular S5 Outfit has an unbrushed aluminum back and comes in Black, White, Dark Gray, Jean Indigo and Hot Pink:
    [​IMG]
    while the S5 Outfit MATRIX has a brushed aluminum back like the Spigen Saturn and comes in more earthy colors (Dark Gray, Camo Green, Chocolate, Red and Orange):
    [​IMG]

8. depth123 macrumors newbie

i have the indigo jean outfit case. Its really nice. I probably will get the dark gray Matrix case soon tho.

9. jkbane thread starter macrumors newbie

jkbane

Cool. The Elago lineup is great.

10. solace macrumors regular

the dark grey is fantastic... i had the black (and blue, but the purple hue of the aluminum piece wasn't my favorite), and mostly rock the dark grey now...

might switch to the red one over the summer

that's what i like so much about Elago's cases... for $10-13 you can't beat the quality

11. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but the Saturn is SO beautiful in white!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. TaylorMatsu macrumors member

I might have to get the slate color of this case. So far I've been on the Elago train, a black and indigo outfit and a few cheaper cases from them as we'll but this case looks good ;)

13. depth123 macrumors newbie

I got my dark gray yesterday, and i think ill be rocking this one from now on. Definitely liking the color choice Elago offers.

14. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

I really like this case except for one tiny thing. There is a tiny bit of up and down movement in the case. And the coating that the matrix has doesn't show fingerprints. . . but it does have a tiny bit of roughness to it.
    Some may like the unfinished type roughness that the case has but others might find it annoying.

I came from the slim armor to this and I haven't put the slim armor back on it sine. I really enjoy how thin the outfit matrix is compared to the slim armor and I the only thing I am looking at other than this case is the Saturn.

For 13 bucks on Amazon it was definitely worth it.

15. LoveMyPens macrumors member

Just ordered the black S5 outfit. Looking forward to seeing it!

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The S5 is nearly identical to the Saturn, but it costs just $13 on Amazon so it's pretty much a better deal.

17. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I have both a Matrix and a Saturn and based on my experience (see pics), I'd pay the extra money for the Saturn. After about a month my S5 looked and felt like crap. After the same amount of time the Saturn looks just like the day I bought it. I feel like the plastic used on the Saturn is better quality.

YMMV.