Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Apple should be sending the backups encrypted as if it was in iTunes. It's not enabled by default, but it should be if iCloud is being used. But knowing Apple, they wanted it to be easy and painless for the customer to restore an iCloud backup. Apple will need to address this and they're probably going to make you use your iTunes ID username and password + a different encryption key/password to retrieve and unlock the data. More work, but better security.

The funny thing is that this software needs access to the iTunes ID username/password. IF not, they don't have access. And they say it's trivial to get it the iTunes ID. All they need is the unencrypted local backups in iTunes. Again, they need to get into your machine to get that data. How they get local backups is beyond me, but if they have local access to a computer, then how is it Apple's fault? I agree Apple needs to send the backups encrypted. But that's all they can do. Weak iTunes passwords and backing up your iPhone on trojan infected machines doesn't make Apple at fault. And when law enforcement has physical access to your computer, all bets are off. Any computer with any OS without full disk encryption can have the data siphoned easily.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So someone has to have your password to get into your iCloud account, which is how iCloud works in the first place.

Someone can theoretically get your password out of an iTunes backup. If someone has access to your Mac's filesystem, you've got bigger problems, and they probably already have access to all the information you had in iCloud anyway.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
This "software" is merely a legal hacking tool for sale. All packaged up.

Completely disgraceful. This sort of thing should be illegal to sale. Period.

Why aren't you mad at Apple for having such security flaws. This is Apples MO after all. Ignore all security issues until the media blows it up, then point the finger for 2 months, then quietly release a security fix with no explanation.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Why aren't you mad at Apple for having such security flaws. This is Apples MO after all. Ignore all security issues until the media blows it up, then point the finger for 2 months, then quietly release a security fix with no explanation.

What security flaws? If someone has my iCloud password they can simply restore an iPhone with my iCloud backup. And if they have physical access to my iTunes backup it means they have my computer which has all the data in iCloud anyway!

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
I would assume that when I pay money for a cloud service it's supposed to keep my data secure, as I would assume that if I paid money to a security service they would keep my house, well, secure....If they want us to make the assumption that security is not on the table they shouldn't be offering icloud to begin with. If they can't sort it out themselves they better buy these russian guys, and any hacker they can to make damn sure they keep our data secure. God knows they can afford it. They can afford paying some guy from dixons $50 million and they can't afford the best hackers to safeguard their users' data? :mad: Do they still think they are operating out of Steve's garage at apple?

Yeah, but remember, they have to know your username & password. It all comes down to that. If somone knows your username/password, then by design, they can get anything.
For example: If I knew your iCloud username & password, I could get any iphone, wipe it, then restore it with YOUR data from the iCloud backup, no Russian forensic software required.

Edit: would you look at that, the person who posted 2 minutes before me said the same thing.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Apple better fix this security bug ASAP.

It's not a security bug. Logging in with the right user ID and password isn't a flaw.

----------

But, don't you need the username and password?

"While the Apple ID and password must be known in order to access the iCloud data"

If you got that, why does it matter? Or is that you just can't delete the backups completely? That part would stink regardless of this silly software. A subpoena would force Apple to hand this over anyway, right?

Yes, but a subpoena should be required. No one should have to wonder or fear if they're being spied upon.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Given that these "security" applications come from Russia, a land widely known for its transparency, extremely low corruption levels and respected institutions, what should you expect?

Such software should not only be banned; its developers should also be locked up in jail as an example to other hackers.

yeah cause from the respected institutions of the U.S. come products from apple that put the collective data of millions of people at risk from security attacks...:rolleyes: I would think that a bunch of hackers exposing the security flows of network software are more benign than a multibillion dollar per quarter corporation who isn't putting due diligence in their products and services to protect their users.

Why the hell are they paying $50 million to some sales guy from dixons who up until recently had problems locating a barbershop and not dropping a few couple of hundred to get said jailbirds to be to protect their users paying them their hard earned cash to enjoy a service that won't put their personal data at risk?

We 've heard everything than assignment of responsibility to apple in these thread: corrupt russians, internet privacy laws, the inherent lack of security of cloud services... cloud services are secure unless of course you eff it up as apple have apparently done, and they are repeat offenders after mobileme. I don't see any outrage though from most people towards apple as their private data is right now exposed to anyone who knows their way around hacking. Guess it's all a ok then. 600,000 macs with flashback and doors wide open to icloud storage. No problemo.

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK
There is no issue here, they require you user and password. Even if apple encrypted the backups with the same user I'd and password they could just restore it to a different device.

The issue is look after you I'd and password and it's not a problem.

The only way to prevent this all together is limiting iCloud restores to the original device I'd only. Then you would have to perform a tethered restore to a new device.

The simple fact is if someone really wants your data your not really going to stop them.

I

iFanboy

Calm down everyone.

This requires PHYSICAL ACCESS to your computer. If they have that it's basically game over anyway.

If you're around they can just hit you with a $2 wrench until you'll tell them your passwords anyway.

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
This "software" is merely a legal hacking tool for sale. All packaged up.

Completely disgraceful. This sort of thing should be illegal to sale. Period.

Illegal? You don't like that because you do not control it. Typical american reaction to ban/declare as axis of evil/etc if something important is not playing their rules.

----------

Calm down everyone.

This requires PHYSICAL ACCESS to your computer. If they have that it's basically game over anyway.

If you're around they can just hit you with a $2 wrench until you'll tell them your passwords anyway.

Reading too much of XKCD, fella :D Me too :D

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Yeah, but remember, they have to know your username & password. It all comes down to that. If somone knows your username/password, then by design, they can get anything.
For example: If I knew your iCloud username & password, I could get any iphone, wipe it, then restore it with YOUR data from the iCloud backup, no Russian forensic software required.

Edit: would you look at that, the person who posted 2 minutes before me said the same thing.

there's flashback for that. :) And who knows what other malware that have not become widespread. You think these guys and other hackers or law enforcement can't get to your mac and get your apple id password? Lol, think again. OS X security is a joke in the industry. It's that most people wouldn't want or care enough to get your apple id anyway.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I sure hope law enforcement has to have a warrant to use this sort of thing.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be easily found on torrent sites soon enough. If you know what you're looking for, anything is easily found on sites such as TPB.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Illegal? You don't like that because you do not control it. Typical american reaction to ban/declare as axis of evil/etc if something important is not playing their rules.
lol, the ns of a is spying on pretty much all of humanity 24/7 but as long as a few russian hackers put up a piece of security software, made possible by the rubbish security holes of apple it's the axis of evil that's the problem.

Wake up and smell the coffee: Apple is sending their backup unencrypted, this is not a security bug, this NO consideration for basic encryption security.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Since having access to your Apple ID is the way to restore from cloud backup, then it seems quite logical that anyone with access to your Apple ID could access your backup.

But still, it's a good thing in general that people are concerned.

You guys need to realize that these tools aren't just freely available to anyone.

No, I can't imagine hackers or other bad guys could get a hold of those kind of tools, or developing them themselves.

These tools aren't used until a suspect is arrested and a warrant issued to allow for the search of their electronic devices.

For now maybe. But what if they push for a warrantless access?

If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

The classic argument for any increased surveillance and control. But what if they claim your doing wrong when you're actually not? Like, use your smartphone to record video.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
So much for privacy, I sure hope this isn't on the app store or endorsed by Apple in any way. What a horrible app.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
yeah cause from the respected institutions of the U.S. come products from apple that put the collective data of millions of people at risk from security attacks...:rolleyes: I would think that a bunch of hackers exposing the security flows of network software are more benign than a multibillion dollar per quarter corporation who isn't putting due diligence in their products and services to protect their users.

Why the hell are they paying $50 million to some sales guy from dixons who up until recently had problems locating a barbershop and not dropping a few couple of hundred to get said jailbirds to be to protect their users paying them their hard earned cash to enjoy a service that won't put their personal data at risk?

We 've heard everything than assignment of responsibility to apple in these thread: corrupt russians, internet privacy laws, the inherent lack of security of cloud services... cloud services are secure unless of course you eff it up as apple have apparently done, and they are repeat offenders after mobileme. I don't see any outrage though from most people towards apple as their private data is right now exposed to anyone who knows their way around hacking. Guess it's all a ok then. 600,000 macs with flashback and doors wide open to icloud storage. No problemo.

If Apple ruined "secure" cloud services with iCloud, then services like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc should be added to the list. None offer encryption locally. If someone has a Google username/password they can see a persons data easily so therefore it's Google's fault for not protecting their users, right?

It's Apple's fault for not allowing encryption, I agree with that. But it's no ones fault but the user for having weak passwords, uploading unencrypted sensitive files to the cloud, and working on unpatched and unencrypted operating systems whether it's Windows, Linux, OS X or whatever you use.

Again I do agree that Apple needs to step their security game up, but it's not as bad as you make it seem.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Having access to someone's username AND password is something that happens almost never. And this software doesn't and can't get your password remotely over the Internet.

Actually I don't fully understand the purpose of this software other than to hack a users cloud/ cellphone to get other potential passwords. You need a password for this software to even work. It's what happens after you have physical access to a users computer/cellphone that this software is ever useful.

And after walking through what this actually does I find the software to be almost vapor ware and sensationalist bordering on MR spam.

I repeat . This software does not sniff Internet packets.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Am I on a Windoz machine?

What has happened?

About the iCloud data: People do not have to use it - if they know flashback has been digging into their computers, especially.

Attachments

• 20120518-MacRumors.jpg
    20120518-MacRumors.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 97

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
If Apple ruined "secure" cloud services with iCloud, then services like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc should be added to the list. None offer encryption locally. If someone has a Google username/password they can see a persons data easily so therefore it's Google's fault for not protecting their users, right?

It's Apple's fault for not allowing encryption, I agree with that. But it's no ones fault but the user for having weak passwords, uploading unencrypted sensitive files to the cloud, and working on unpatched and unencrypted operating systems whether it's Windows, Linux, OS X or whatever you use.

Again I do agree that Apple needs to step their security game up, but it's not as bad as you make it seem.

As far as I understand apple don't offer encrypted transfers in icloud though, and last time I heard:

Dropbox uses modern encryption methods to both transfer and store your data.

Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and AES-256 bit encryption

Points well taken for the rest of what you are saying. :) There's also a element of fault from the users perceptive.

My problem is that like I said before apple isn't operating out of Steve's garage anymore, they have a vast, vast user database and thus responsibility. If they want to treat security issues the way they have done before, as another user pointed out that is, being exposed by a third party, staying silently or denying or misattributing the issue, then silently fixing it after a few months, if at all, then now is not the time to do what with the way their user base has grown and the added risk of cloud storage.

And you know what else, apple currently have tons, ********s of money, they could probably singlehandedly put Europe out of recession, that's the amount of money they have, what they shouldn't have, or rather shouldn't be allowed to have right now is any more excuses.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
And in other news if someone has your:

ATM card and PIN they can steal money from your account!
Gmail email address and password they can read your mail!
Wak by your mailbox and open the lid they can steal your snail mail!
Wifi access point password they can steal your Internet services or worse!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
It's not a security bug. Logging in with the right user ID and password isn't a flaw.

----------

Yes, but a subpoena should be required. No one should have to wonder or fear if they're being spied upon.

It may not be a security flaw persay, it still needs to be fixed, period.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
And in other news if someone has your:

ATM card and PIN they can steal money from your account!
Gmail email address and password they can read your mail!
Wak by your mailbox and open the lid they can steal your snail mail!
Wifi access point password they can steal your Internet services or worse!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Exactly.

If you have a username and password to any iCloud account you can do the exact same thing this software does without the software.

Silver Box

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Unless youre walking around with a tshirt with your apple id and password on it i honestly doubt youll have a problem [tinfoil] but you'd better check your window just in case a dark van with 'ELCOMSOFT' is waiting to break into your home!? Also id be very suspicious of that local russian family that moved in next door, theyre probably sniffing your packets as you read this. QUICK! MICROWAVE YOUR HDD! [/tinfoil]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.