Electric buzz after upgrading to 4GB Kingston ram

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bushi, May 29, 2008.

1. bushi macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've upgraded my macbook 2.2 (SR) today with 4GB Kingstom RAM (2x2GB). I thought everything was OK since there were no visible issues and the RAM was properly recognized. But after a while i noticed an 'electric buzz'. This 'buzz' starts from the moment I power the macbook on and stays at a constant level untill I shut down the macbook. Another weird thing is that when I put the original apple ram back in, the buzzing stays. (I'm 100% sure that the buzz wasn't there when before I putted the RAM inside, no doubt about that.)
    Some additional things:
    - PRAM & SMC reset didn't resolve the problem
    - fan is running at 1796rpm
    - RAM is the correct type and doesn't crash the system
    - did the upgrade myself

Can somebody help me with this problem because I'm very annoyed with it!

2. chscag macrumors 65816

You say it's an "electric buzzing"? Not sure what you mean?

The "buzzing" may be the fan, the hard drive, or a loose part. It might be coincidental that it began to occur after you upgraded the memory. As a precaution, open the battery compartment, remove the battery and look around carefully to see that everything is in place where it's supposed to be and snugged down. If something is loose, it may be vibrating when the HD is spinning. I don't know what else could cause the buzzing short of some electronic component that's failing. Might even be the LCD backlight although they usually flicker and then fail.

Since the buzzing may be a sign that the HD is acting up, suggest you make sure you have a backup of all your data.

Regards.

3. bushi thread starter macrumors newbie

By 'buzzing' i mean a sort of low noise coming from inside the macbook.
    I'm 100% sure it started when I added the RAM, so I don't think it's the harddrive or the fan? Could I have hit something by pushing the sockets to hard? Or could the ram be too loose in the sockets?

Kind regards

4. chscag macrumors 65816

Again, I suggest you remove the battery and get back into the compartment and check everything to make sure it's tight and not vibrating. Remember, the hard drive is close by... if for example the "spacer" is not in place correctly and snug, it might be vibrating when the hard drive spins.

Sorry, that's about all I can think of.

Regards.

5. bushi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice but I doublechecked and everything seems to be in place? The metal 'spacer' is firmly snugged down. Could it be anything else?

Kind regards

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Hi ,
    Have you run the hardware test that comes on the install discs ?.

7. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

or if you have apple care run the test that came with the disk (the techtool deluxe app) run those tests and see wat happens

8. bushi thread starter macrumors newbie

I've handed the macbook in at the genius bar with the 1gb installed, and they fixed the problem (they replaced the logicboard and some other things). Back at home I reinstalled the 4gb (because I thought the RAM wasn't the problem..) and the buzz is there again :(. Obvious the RAM is causing the problems. I've ran the hardware test and it doesn't see a problem. What should I do now? Return the RAM to kingston? What could be wrong with it?

9. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

OK , so Apple replaced some 'bits' and you say the problem is still present , well, first thing I would do is ship the RAM back to supplier then test the new RAM when it comes and see what happens ....if the problem is still there get back onto Apple and describe what you have done installed new RAM replaced it as bad etc then see what they say , my guess is if there is still a problem after the new RAM is in you'd get a replacement , they usually make you have three repairs first though .

good luck :)

10. bushi thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed, but they really solved the problem because the buzz was gone when I returned home. It only came back when I put the 4GB back in... I'll resend the RAM to kingston now, bring the macbook back in, and try with new RAM. I didn't tell the genius that the problem appeared when I swapped RAM because I thought it wouldn't be covered by the warranty then. Should I be honest with them or will it void warranty?

(Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!)