Electric discharge from top casing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iBookG4user, Jan 22, 2009.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm experiencing quite an odd problem with my MacBook Air. Right now when I place my hand on my computer and move it around it feels like there is some electric discharge or something to that extent going into my hand. It is like a buzzing feeling, it doesn't happen very often but I was wondering if I should be concerned? It happens regardless of what part of the casing I touch (non metal parts excluded), the LCD casing, front or back and both the top and bottom casing.

2. Sam1487 macrumors member

Sam1487

I experience something similar with my Macbook Pro; sometimes when I'm working away I can feel small pinchs on my forearms that rest on the edge of the casing.

They feel like pinchs as I've mentioned, but I figure that they are small electrical discharges.

3. kolax macrumors G3

This has been discussed in great depth over the years - it is simply just because you aren't using the earth connection (use the adapter with the extension cable) because the short adapter doesn't have an earth.

So no earth and metal case, 1+1 = 2. Of course, it doesn't happen when you are on battery and if it does happen, it can be because you are using an external hard drive and any current leaks out the USB adapter and runs along the casing.

Either use the extension cable or attach a wee wire going from the case to a radiator ;)

4. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I am using the grounded plug though, I never use the short connector because it is too short. And no external hard drives are connected to my computer.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Hmm - is your power socket two pins? I'm in the UK and not really that familiar with American power sockets.

It is to do with earthing though - try attaching a wire going from your Mac to a radiator.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Did you try connecting to another power outlet? Do you experience the same problem?

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Kilamite is right, it is an earthing issue, mainly because plugs in the US arnt really safe enough, the two pronged plugs dont contain proper earths and so the only protection from static inside the machine is the double insulation all electrical devices are required to have, however in the UK all plugs are required to be three pronged, the third being an earth. However even this isnt really useful unless the third prong is made from copper and not plastic as it usually is. I would advise trying a Belkin surge socket and seeing if that helps you, but to date over the thousands of threads on this forum about the problem noone has found a solution.

Most people report going in another building such as college and plugging in means they dont get the shock, which would lead me to believe its an insulation problem which is why I reccomend the Belkin or other surge protection socket.

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I'm in the UK and I get an electrical tingling when I touch any of the Alu Macbooks (and other devices - some hifi stuff). It's just metal cases, some people get it some don't.

9. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, the power socket is three pins, and the plug I'm using is three pins. And I don't have a radiator in the house so it's not really possible to do that.

The same thing has happened on my MacBook Pro and it is connected to a different power outlet.

10. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Since you have the same problem on two machine I would try them in a different house, office etc, just to be sure it's not something with the whole electrical system.