Electric Shock from 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JosephRedfern, Apr 19, 2011.

1. JosephRedfern macrumors newbie

Hi All. I just bought a 2011 15" Macbook Pro (Base Model), which arrived today.

At the moment, it is fully charged and plugged in - and I am typing on it now... I am having to be very careful where I put my fingers, as if I touch any metal part of the laptop it gives me an electric shock. It's not a MAJOR shock - but it's definitely there. I have read one or two reports of this happening on the 2008 model, but nothing on the 2011...

It wont ALWAYS do it - Sometimes I can touch the metal without any problem. If I keep my finger on it when it decides to shock me, then it seems to... "build up", as in the shock gets more and more intense. But that might just be a standard thing - I don't know.

I am going to try plugging it into some different sockets (As far as I know, the socket i'm using is earthed... why wouldn't it be!?). Every other aspect of the laptop is great... But if I am going to be unable to use the thing without getting shocked, then I will not be a happy bunny!

So, has anyone else had this problem? Do you have any advice? If changing socket doesn't work, what should I do - Send the laptop back?

Thanks,

Joseph Redfern

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Is it grounded (3 pronged outlet), if not there is a good chance that it isn't earthed (but more of a floating arrangement). People have complained over the years without the using the grounded connector (also you could have a non-polarized outlet as they still exist).

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

That's some expensive shock treatment, brother! Definitely take care of it...

4. MacCrackAddict macrumors member

I am sympathetic to this, but LOL. This is kinda funny. Get it sorted though dude i'm sure your local apple store will be able to help out with an electrocuting MBP!

5. JosephRedfern thread starter macrumors newbie

I've switched outlets, and it's not given me a shock yet, so I'm fairly sure that it was because of the socket I was using.

I guess this is just one of those things that comes with having a laptop that has been carved out of a solid block of metal! :D

6. PLD1982 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem on my MBP 17" early 2011

I am in Thailand which has a two pinned electrical socket with no earthing!
    is anyone having the same problem in Thailand?

:mad:

7. sergiks macrumors newbie

sergiks

Have the same problem in Thailand, Koh Samui.
    It seems to be related to the overall electric set up around here. I did not have that problem few days ago, and suddenly today the electric zaps became quite noticable. I did not replug a single cable ar changed anything with my setup. So, quite possible, there are some external reasons for that.