Electric Shocks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Snivy, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Snivy macrumors newbie

Uhm so I created an account just so I could ask this as I couldn't find anything from a google search.

When charging my iPhone and laptop at the same time I get small electric shocks if I am touching both of them at the same time. I noticed it a few months ago, but with a different laptop so I assumed that it was just that particular laptop.
    It doesn't matter where I'm charging them, or even the charger that I'm using (I've been shocked despite both the laptop and phone chargers being changed more than once). It's mildly concerning as it hurts, so I was wondering if this ever happened to anyone else. Both are over a year old, so their warranties are no longer valid

I apologise if this isn't the right place to ask orz
    Thanks for any help

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Could be an electrical wiring issue or your laptop charger is leaking current. Either way you should get it checked out; it's not normal.

3. Snivy thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that at first but the only thing that's stayed the same is the phone itself. I've been shocked despite changing laptops (one of which I changed the charger for and still got shocked), and three different phone chargers. I get shocked by both the phone and the laptop too, but it only happens if I'm touching both of them, when they are both charging. If one isn't charging then I don't get shocked.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Could be a grounding issue or reverse wiring. Get yourself a device that plugs into your outlet and checks for proper wiring. Or try changing outlets.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Are you using Apple chargers and cables?

6. Snivy thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried changing outlets too :/

Not currently no, I lent my Apple charger to a friend, but I still got shocks whilst using that one too.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

But you could have an overall problem with your wiring.

8. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

OP probably has a home where the neutral and ground bars aren't connected at the main panel. I know in our house they are, but in some homes they aren't. Since the iPhone charger is only 2 prong (aka doesn't connect to ground), it's possible to be shocked from touching the metal body while charging and touching two different devices or touching a ground path.

9. Alexrat1996 Suspended

tell us what computer your using mac or windows

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have felt this "effect" at the Apple store when touching the devices on display. Kinda feels like the device is vibrating when you run your finger lightly along the edge.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

Yep, that's the sign of current leaking into you.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No doubt.

13. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I get shocked a bit when my iPhone is charging. The Cable is 3rd party, maybe thats the cause?

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

There have been previous posts that when the cable was exchanged for a official one the shock effect stopped. If it does not bother you I would not worry about it.

15. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I agree. I live in an old house. A lot of our outlets only have 2 connections and if you look in the wall, the wiring only has 2 conductors.

16. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

17. Snivy thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows

I'd like to clarify that I'm from the UK, so the plug is 3 pronged..

No, it's not a vibration. It's like i've been stung by something

I already stated that it happened with both an Apple charger and a non-Apple charger ^^;;;;

Sorry for late replies, I didnt seem to get notifications of them.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

19. iop macrumors regular

"Being stung" is a sign of an electric discharge through the air when you get close. It could be due to a static charge on your body (in that case once you've discharged, you won't feel it again when you touch the laptop or phone unless you walk around and accumulate more charge). Current through the body feels more like vibrations in the hand around the point of contact.

20. _bgb macrumors member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_bonding

but also, some where something may not be earthed properly or is in inadvertently touching something. Orrrrr you are just discharging static to a lesser charged surface.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2016 ---
    and further to this, if you have a multimeter, use it to check the cases of what you are charging / running of power. this will show you what is defective.