electrical charge from port damaging camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gadgreen, Jun 6, 2008.

1. gadgreen macrumors newbie

My panasonic mini DV suddenly started not being recognized by my emac ("camera not attached"). I tried other computers, same thing. I tried different fire wires, same results. I needed to finish a project so I borrowed a Canon camera. Once I plugged it in to the emac, it has the same problem, it now is not recognized by any computers we try to use it with. The only commonality was the firewire port. Is it possible the port is faulty and giving an electrical charge that damages the ability for the camera to import? Everything else seems to be working fine on both cameras.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

I hope you weren't plugging the Firewire cable in and out while either device was powered up. That's the best way to fry a Firewire port.

-DH

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Um... Firewire is hot swappable, meaning you can plug/unplug while the devices are powered up.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

um... sure. That's one of the marketing hypes. And yes, you can hot swap. But do a search for all the issues from fried FW cards to screwed motherboards ... all from hot swapping Firewire. This is a fairly well known fact. I can't imagine why you've missed it thus far.

-DH