Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macos2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
I just received a new Macbook Pro 16 and when its plugged in charging I have an electro static shock from the aluminum body like micro vibration
I already changed many times for the coil-whine and fun noise and finally said that I will leave with the noise, so I decide to order an other one and my big surprise was to have this new problem :eek:

Does anyone have this issue?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago.

Seems it is normal.

Reactions: macos2008

macos2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
Thanks, I didn't seen your thread
I didn't have this issue with those I returned, so it's not related to my outlet I think

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
No. I think my 2008 did, but I don't think my 2015 did.

I had one from an iPad Pro or some other Apple device that works fine.
I had one from older MBP's and couldn't remember if my 16 had it when I unboxed it. I just took it off and, yup, got that wonderful buzz :) Not a problem at a hotel I recently visited, so maybe I need to check out my home outlets. I mean, I'll have plenty of time to do so over the upcoming weeks!

Now that I think of it, i'd like one of those smaller clip on's that were grounded. Sometimes the cable is just a bit too much.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I didn't have this issue with those I returned, so it's not related to my outlet I think
It’s entirely related to your power outlet. The long power cord is grounded, so using that will prevent you from feeling the current leak.

Reactions: macos2008

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
It has nothing to do with any specific outlet or wiring. If the power adapter is ungrounded, and there is no other grounded device plugged in, then natural leakage current will cause the metal parts on the laptop will float up to 1/2 of the AC line voltage.

This is exactly identical on PC laptops, just that the case is usually plastic. If you were to touch metal parts, like the USB ports, you'd feel the same thing.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Also has to do with the conductivity of your body at the moment. You might sit in a chair and feel it, while standing you would not.

macos2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
Update :
I bought a power adapter extension Cable on amazon and now works very well !!!
I already take the first one to apple store and told me it's a problem with mbp and make an estimate of $1,653.00 and said they could not change it for free since I bought it else where even new purchase .
So I returned it to the store where I bought it since I was still in 1 month period :(
the issue was for only that ! I am so frustrated now because I got the first one for a good price.
Thanks for your help !

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2020
I just received a new Macbook Pro 16 and when its plugged in charging I have an electro static shock from the aluminum body like micro vibration
I already changed many times for the coil-whine and fun noise and finally said that I will leave with the noise, so I decide to order an other one and my big surprise was to have this new problem :eek:

Does anyone have this issue?
This issue occurs due to not having proper earthing to apple charger cord. I had the same problem and Apple suggested me to use extension cord which solved my problem. I bought from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/YWCKING-Charger-Extension-Compatible-Adapters-White/dp/B082PGGK9H

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This was NEVER "a problem with the MacBook itself".
Returning it was 100% unnecesary.

It was simply a matter of buying the grounded (3-pin) extension cable for the charger, and plugging it in...

EDITORIAL:
Apple should include some kind of documentation that makes users aware that the tingling/vibration when charging is due to a non-grounded situation, and that this can be solved by buying the 3-prong grounded cable. But I guess they don't...
END EDITORIAL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.