Electrocution every time I use my MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by xGrape, Oct 29, 2012.

  1. xGrape macrumors newbie

    Mar 10, 2012
    I am guessing I am not the only one who gets a jolt every time they touch the metal surface of the MBA. I'm guessing it's static electricity caused by friction from my clothes and the office chair. Still kind of annoying. So...

    #1 can or will this cause damage to the MBA over time?
    #2 any way around it, apart from getting a new chair or not wearing any clothes?
  2. colourfastt macrumors 6502a


    Apr 7, 2009
    The first question: are you using the 2 prong plug from the adapter or the 3 prong plug from the extension cord? (Hint: the 2 prong plug doesn't have a ground.)
  3. Gav2k macrumors G3


    Jul 24, 2009
    Neither will 'ground' the air!
  4. glitch44 macrumors 65816

    Feb 28, 2006
    Electrocution means death. You mean shock.

    Touch a piece of grounded metal (like a file cabinet) before you touch your Air.
  5. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

    Jan 30, 2009
    This would occasionally happen to me with my old MBP- I hated it because I hate getting shocked! Every person has their own static buildup, some people get shocked more than others. Not much you can do.

    Same thing happens to me when I get out of the car, so I've learned to touch the metal of the inside door WHILE getting out of the car, so that you return the charge to the car and not to yourself.
  6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020


    Jul 19, 2010
    Happens every time I touch my Apple wired aluminum keyboard. Pretty annoying actually.
  7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

    Aug 27, 2012
    Wear different clothing, shoes, increase humidity in the room.

    In an old power center, it had a "discharge pad" for people who have this problem, u just touch the pad before working on the computer.

    U can fashion such pad by tying a 15,000(+/-) ohms resistor to an outlet's ground to your metal table would be perfect.
  8. hchung macrumors 6502a

    Oct 2, 2008
    In summary:
    1) No.
    2) Yes, use the 3-prong grounded power adapter cord. And make sure that your building's electrical system actually has the 3rd prong (ground) wired correctly.
  9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604


    Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Are you using a power cable that's not grounded?
  10. xGrape thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 10, 2012
    All cabling is properly grounded.
  11. The-Pro macrumors 65816

    Dec 2, 2010
    I get really strong constant electric shocks from the edge of my MBP. I can never place my lower arms on the edge when I type. A real pain in the ass. Hurts a lot too.
  12. iRCL macrumors 6502

    Nov 2, 2011
  13. OnEMoReTrY macrumors member

    Aug 4, 2008
    It's only grounded if you're using the 3-prong plug. You shouldn't be getting shocked if you're using the 3-prong plug, but you will if you're using the 2-prong.

Share This Page