Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gakuran hitori

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Hello, I'm rather new around here so I hope that I'm posting this question in the right section. I searched for similar topics but was unable to find one. Though, I suppose my question is somewhat peculiar. I'm looking to buy a new speaker setup and I have my eye on Logitech's Z-2300. The subwoofer will likely be placed under the desk on which my iMac and external hard drives are stationed, however I've read somewhere that it has no electromagnetic shielding. I have no CRT monitors around but I am slightly worried if it's too close (or even powerful enough) to affect any of the hard drives above it.

Can anyone confirm if it will or not? Or, perhaps tell me if I've read wrong and they are electromagnetically shielded? Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated, especially if you've had experience with the speakers in question.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Looking forward to a response :3

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
If the drives are 4 inches or more away - I wouldn't worry about it from a magnetism standpoint.

I would but a little thought into vibration though - if the sub hits hard enough to shake things around - make sure your drive heads aren't chattering away on the platter.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
The satellites are shielded - but more often than not, the subwoofer is not.

But to affect a hard drive from an operational standpoint - the magnet would have to be very strong and very close to it.

Again, I'd put a lot more concern with vibration than I would with gauss.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I just bought the Z-4 speakers and nowhere does it say shielded for either the satellite or sub woofer. I have mine about a foot away from either external Hard Drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.