Electronic Keyboard/Music Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Deborah, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Deborah macrumors newbie

I want to buy a 61-key electronic keyboard with full-sized, semi-weighted keys. I want to be able to play it by itself, but I also want to connect it to my intel iMac running Leopard so I can use Garage Band.

I have researched several brands, but cannot find much on mac-compatibility, particularly Leopard-compatibility. Any information and/or advice would be appreciated.

Deborah

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In general, a Class-compliant USB-port equipped keyboard will be automatically compatible with OSX, as in transmitting note ons and note offs. Its in the more specialized functions such as the extra knobs, sliders, buttons and expression controllers which require driver support.

3. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

5. Deborah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the info and advice. I will do some more research and look at the items you recommend.

6. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Alittle different type question is there a cheap one for a guy who will not do much buy?

7. Deborah thread starter macrumors newbie

Yamaha PSR-E403

I ultimately bought the Yamaha PSR-E403, a relatively inexpensive model (about $200), and can recommend it.

It is a 61 full-key synthesizer with a USB MIDI interface and an amazingly large number of features. The keys are not weighted, but have something called "Touch Response." The main thing I wanted was the piano sound, which is one of the selling points for this model, but experimenting with the other features is fun.

I read numerous reviews of this keyboard before buying it, the vast number of which were very positive; many were glowing recommendations. The negative reviews were mostly along the lines of "this is not a keyboard for a serious musician; it is a beginner's keyboard." Since I am not a musician, and not likely to become one, and I am more or less a beginner (it has been many years since I played a piano), those negative comments did not discourage me from buying this model.

In case you are interested, the USB MIDI interface that comes with the keyboard worked with my iMac, but some of the software is for Windows only. I wondered about that before I bought this keyboard.

I decided against the M-Audio Keystation 61-ES mentioned above because, as observed in that post, I wanted to be able to play the keyboard without using my computer.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

8. lannyball macrumors newbie

Mac-Korg connectivity

Hi-- not sure how this forum works, but I have a question about connecting my Korg Triton LE to my MacBook to use with GarageBand and eventually ProLogic Studio. What will I need to do that?

Thanks-- and if you could help me on how to post this more appropriately, I'd appreciate it!:)

9. disassemble macrumors newbie

disassemble

10. Deborah thread starter macrumors newbie

As mentioned above, I bought the Yamaha PSR-E403, and am very happy with it.
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=65207&CNTYP=PRODUCT&LGFL=Y

It works with my iMac and Garage Band. However, I connect it with a USB cable. I don't know if the YPT-220 has a USB port or not. The specs on the Yamaha website don't list one. You may need a midi cable to work with reach the computer.
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=5040380&CTID=205000

Also, my PSR-E403 came with some software that doesn't work on a Mac, but that didn't bother me much. The software is not necessary to use the keyboard with the Mac, but rather allows me to download pre-recorded songs from my computer to the keyboard. I just used my old PC to download. I don't know if the YPT-220 comes with that software or not.

I don't know much about the Casio, so I won't comment, but the reviews on Amazon are quite positive.

Finally, you might check the prices of these (or other) keyboards out at Amazon and B&H Photo websites.

-- B&H doesn't have the YPT-220, but does have the PSR-E223, which appears to be very similar (in fact, the Yamaha Users Manual is a joint one for both).
    http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/port/psre223_en_om_a0.pdf

-- Amazon has an accessory "premium pack" with the Casio for the same money as Target is asking for the keyboard without accessories.

Hope that helps.