Electronics and STICKERS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dontwalkhand, May 11, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Why is it that when you buy something, they put stickers all over it, advertising something you ALREADY PURCHASED?

These stickers are usually hard to get off, and leave gunk behind when you do try to peel them off, to the point where most people do not peel the stickers off and just leave them on!

I am glad that Apple didn't do this, but why oh why do many PC manufacturers, AV equipment, bookshelf stereo systems do this?

2. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Because when people look at the sticker they know which company made it, maybe?

3. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I do not mean the brand of the company, I mean those stickers that you always see on electronics that advertise to you what features it has...WHEN YOU ALREADY PURCHASED THE PRODUCT.

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Like those PC makers put on computers that like to scrape off and look even uglier than they did new?

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

To remind you why you bought it:

It was cheep.

7. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

So you remember, some people don't read the manuals, and some people don't know where to check what parts they have in their computer. Thank god apple didn't put those stickers on their macbooks, it would've driven me crazy, my sister has those. A tip though: Using a hair dry on the warm-hot setting and and blasting the sticker for a minute is a very effective way to get the sticker off cleanly.

8. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I'm on a personal mission to remove the "intel inside" and "Windows XP/Vista" sticker from every PC I touch.

My sister-in-law had a new flat screen TV and had left all the little rainbow colored stickers along the outside of the frame. Up in one corner of the screen was a triangular vinyl cling that she'd left on as well. I told her she can remove all that stuff, and she stopped me saying she didn't think she was allowed to do so.:confused:

9. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

There is a piece around a regulation on this.

(I have no idea what the regulation is but I do know that there are a limit to the amount of stickers that can be placed on it)

In regards to intel (through a contact that works in their L&D team) intel have no real way of advertising their different chipset therefore by agreeing with the manufacturers that they need to place a sticker on their laptops as part of the deal in purchasing the chips is their way of marketing.

I am guessing it's the same with Windows etc.

Apple don't need to do it as they build the OS and the hardware.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

This is a pet hate of mine too. Although the upper-end hardware of Sony, Dell et al is definitely superior to any piece of pretty rubbish that Apple can crank out, I sometimes fly into a mini-rage at the amount of crapware both physical and logical (especially with Sony) that I have to remove. Even the handheld Sony UX, where you'd think there was no room to stick anything, was festooned with stickers denoting Intel, Windows, DLNA, etc.

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

These are all tactics of a secret consortium of non-Appleites to directly affect your sub-conscious and hypnotize you into buying cheapo crap! Its obviously working well!

12. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I usually leave those "case badges" on when I touch PCs, but I do peel off stupidity stickers like "NEVER OBSOLETE!" and "FREE 13000 HOURS OF AOL!" from the front of the case!

13. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

When I build a computer I always put the little decals on the case. I like the way it looks. However with store bought computers I will remove the huge AOL stickers, and other big ones which list every detail about the computer. But I will leave the small decals which advertise which processor or video card is in the computer. These tend only to be 1" squared anyway.

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

no.. no it's not.

just get some brake cleaner, put it on a rag and get all that gunk off under the stickers.

or if you're like me - i used my windows laptop so much that the silver paint faded and when the stickers fell off it was still just like new underneath

15. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I cant understand which smilie to use frankly..