Electrostatic Shock and Mac Pro ??Worries??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by -Noodles, Jan 17, 2008.

1. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I just ordered a Mac Pro and as I'm waiting one of my concerns is dealing with the enormous electrostatic shocks I've been getting this winter. I have carpet in my apartment - everywhere except the kitchen and the bathroom. In the summer and fall I had no problems with shocks. This was probably due to the humidity in the air at the time. However now this past month or so I get shocked constantly walking around the house, touching anything conductive, including my girlfriend :p I'm new to the cold climate and dry air, it's an adjustment.

Should I have any concerns regarding the shocks and the computer? I don't plan on opening it up and poking around the motherboard but if I walk up to my desk and open the optical drive and get shocked can this be transfered to the components and damage anything? My apartment is already pretty small - I'd hate to have to get a humidifier for these couple months 'till spring comes and things get moist again (hmm.. that sounds wrong..). Anyway if there's anyone knowledgeable about this sort of thing I'd appreciate any insights. thx :)

I've been shocked more than my fair share of times touching my stereo equipment - doesn't look like I've caused any damage with that... yet

2. jasper v macrumors newbie

its not a problem cause the case of the MP is Grounded via the Ground wire and Opening a MP Drive is done whit the Keyboard so... but than Shocks cant really harm. its like the old story of Burned in CRT and Plasma monitors ;) No wory's

3. -Noodles thread starter macrumors regular

-Noodles

great now i only have to worry about the pain of being shocked :rolleyes:

4. jasper v macrumors newbie

Maybe you can make a batery charger from your carpet ;):cool: