Elegant accelerometer solution

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeshell383, Mar 19, 2009.

1. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

How about a triple click of the home button to change the orientation? Very simple, very practical. Apple already uses triple-click on the inline headphones. Just tried triple clicking my home button, and it's not a stretch at all, it would work very well.

Such a feature would only work on a use-by-use basis so users don't get confused or permanently reconfigure the normal accelerometer setting, meaning when the accelerometer is moved, the orientation adjusts to the default for that position.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That would be a nice feature. I'd like for a landscape homescreen now too. Landscape all the time (or when I feel like it). :D

3. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be really nice for when you're lying sideways. Just triple click and be in portrait mode. When the iPhone is moved appropriately it will revert to the normal orientation.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I like it, but make it even simpler:

Triple-click locks the screen orientation where it is. It will unlock it when:

1) You triple-click again.
    or
    2) You exit the application you're using

That's it.

I'd like that and there's not too many ways to really confuse yourself. The worst case is, you have no idea what this feature is and you think your acceleromter is broken. But even then, when you exit the app it's "fixed" again.

The drawback, of course, is that single click responses will have to be delayed longer (to wait and see if you're going to triple-click), so the phone would feel more sluggish. So they'll never do it.

5. Untaken macrumors member

I'd like to see them implement something similar to the rotation lock plugin for jailbroken phones. The way it works is about as painless as it could get; say you want Safari locked into landscape? Turn the phone sideways while on the homescreen and open Safari, it'll now be locked into landscape. Want to go back to portrait? Exit Safari, rotate the phone back to its normal position and re-open Safari. Bam, you're locked into portrait.

6. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree. Even though the addition of landscape to the some of the other apps is a very welcome and appreciated feature, it seems like they may as well go all the way.

One example is Calendar where landscape could enable a week view.

This is a possibility as well.

To indicate that the position has been locked they could use an element like they use for the ringer volume and silent settings, except that it would be a lock, landscape/portrait iPhone icon, or something similar:

This would definitely be the limit. But, three is doable, triple-click is already a feature of inline headphones. Any more than three and it starts to get silly, confusing, awkward, and sluggish (wait times).
    They could add a triple-click preference right under the double click preference that would allow for "lock position" or "none". In fact, "none" is the best default setting. People who don't want the phone to wait for three possible click will just leave the setting to "none".
    Advanced users will find it if they want to use it.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      12.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      14.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      19.3 KB
      Views:
  7. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting, but I like Small White Car's solution better, it provides more clarity for the consumer.

8. wildonrio macrumors 6502

How about a simple "Disable accelerometer" option in Settings? If you're gonna be laying down, go turn that on. That sounds like something Apple would go for, I don't know why they haven't (I personally would always leave it disabled)

9. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, it would only cause a delay if a second click occurred within the current two-potential-clicks wait window. For a single-click, the wait time would be the same as it is now.

10. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I think the best solution would be either a specific box/button on the Safari browser that would say "lock" and you tap it to lock or unlock the portrait/landscape option. I see a problem with the 'triple tap' because a double tap followed by a single tap could be misinterpreted. (as it is, the phone misinterprets a lot - there are many times that I want to hold and drag a webpage and it clicks a link instead. we don't need even more ways for this to happen!)

Attached Files:

11. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

While that is possible, it is less convenient than having a shortcut that is accessible in applications on a per use basis. Also, a novice would be very confused/angry/upset if they accidentally turned it off, whereas Small White Car's proposal would ensure that the issue is "fixed" every time an application is closed.

12. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I wish they'd make this Toggle for SBSettings :p

13. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

14. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel this especially important with the release of 3.0.

Everything should be viewable in any position and locked.

i.e. Portrait video (like music videos and podcast in the iPod app) should be applied to all video: YouTube, Safari/QT, TV Shows and Movies

15. Almy macrumors 6502

I would definitely like a software solution. In settings, in the app, wherever. But a hardware solution feels clunky to my tastes. Software feels like a much more seemless user experience. Then again I may just be getting to the iPhones slim approach to things.

But yeah it's hard to imagine apple hasn't done something for it yet.

16. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

They make it, I have it :cool:

17. wildonrio macrumors 6502

You're talking about NoRotation right? That's a good hack, I love it too. I hope they update it for 3.0 to lock the Messages, Notes, and Mail app too :-|

18. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

That sounds awesome! It could work well.

19. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I agree with the main idea of the concept... but in my opinion the best implementation wouldn't be triple-click (like someone already said it, misinterpretation by the iphone, and become more sluggish)... and definitely not a button "lock" on every single application that uses landscape mode... it'll make the screen even more crowded... and about putting as an option in "Settings" is gonna make make it a pain in the butt... :eek: ... i mean what if i have it turned on (locked) because im lying sideways on my bed listening to music and dont want to turn into cover flow... and suddenly i want to lie on my back and watch a movie... what shall i do?

1. go to settings
    2. turn on "lock accelerometer"
    3. go to Music
    4. Skim through my songs and listen
    5. lie on my back
    6. go to settings
    7. turn off "lock accelerometer"
    8. go to Videos
    9. Watch a movie in Landscape...

it reminds me of my old windows days... click a thousand buttons to get a simple option...

the best solution would be, to be able to "lock" the screen by pressing the home button for 3 seconds and as a result the screen will shake slightly and lock. and u can unlock it by doing the same thing or by quitting the app. it'll be way less of a hassle because im not quitting the app to disable/enable and the single-click home button wont have to way too much to check whether u're gonna do a triple-click
    let's go back to my step-by-step and compare...

1. go to Music
    2. press the home button for 3 sec.
    3. listen to music
    4. lie on my back
    5. go to Videos
    6. watch a movie in landscape

(assuming im on an ipod touch because i switched from the Music app to the Videos app. And if im on an iphone it'll be an extra step to press the button for 3 seconds when i lie on my back to turn accelerometer on again)

what do u all think???

20. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like it a lot! I'm thinking 4-5 seconds though, just to be on the safe side. Users of the feature can wait an extra second or two to ensure that novices don't accidentally enable the feature.

I still think Apple can squeeze in a triple-click, but I really like your solution for accelerometer lock. Perhaps Apple could use (an optional) triple-click for something else, like a way to quickly send a message from any app, like this: http://www.theiphoneblog.com/images/stories/2009/03/3328773824_d9d6b0795b_o-266x400.jpg

21. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

yeah that idea is cool...
    Apple can actually do a LOT more with the iPhone than it currently can!!:D
    the iPhone could be a replacement for almost every single gadget out there...
    it has become already all this in one:
    -Phone
    -iPod
    -Camera
    -Portable Gaming Device
    -GPS
    -PDA
    -Compass
    -etc
    -etc

22. villageindian macrumors member

Except holding the home button for 5 seconds shuts off Safari or Mail or any app that runs in the background (in 3.0?). Guess you forgot that? ;)

23. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen anything about an accelerometer lock...

I haven't seen anything about an accelerometer lock and I'm getting concerned. Safari is bad enough, but now that all the major text entry apps have landscape, there needs to be a solution (especially for people who message/e-mail while lying on their side). It's hard to believe Apple would expand the landscape keyboard without offering some kind of position lock.

24. emt1 macrumors 65816

Guess you haven't used 3.0 yet? You have to hold the power button until you get the red slider, then hold the home button in order to force quit an app.

25. joeshell383 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now that holding the home button is for voice control, home button triple-click or a button combination using the volume buttons (i.e. hold both of the volume buttons at the same time) is looking the right solution.