Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

str8spd2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Los Angeles
I just picked up this Element Carbon back from ebay which the seller claims authentic. I noticed that the camera holes doesn't seem to be cut nicely. Not sure if that's the nature of it cause it's real carbon fiber that it's harder to cut. Anyone else with the Element Carbon backing wanna chime in. Maybe I'm just being too picky.
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
yeah, the first element case I bought had this kind of cutout on it's carbon back skin. It's really nothing special, they just put it in the box so that they can say: " Hey it's there, we added extra protection for your iPhone ". They also said they'll do a design change or something but I haven't heard a thing! :)

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
yeah, the first element case I bought had this kind of cutout on it's carbon back skin. It's really nothing special, they just put it in the box so that they can say: " Hey it's there, we added extra protection for your iPhone ". They also said they'll do a design change or something but I haven't heard a thing! :)

have you put it on your phone yet, i got a screen protector of ebay well a bunch of them and in the package was a knock off element back and it didnt fit at all it was big all the way around over hanging i laughed when i saw it in there.

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
no I haven't. I don't like it enough to put it on nor I trust ElementCase about the glue. It might be hard to take it off. If you want a nice carbon skin, try PhantomSkinz or SGP. They are not like ElementCase's skin. With those skins you can actually feel the texture! :)

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
no I haven't. I don't like it enough to put it on nor I trust ElementCase about the glue. It might be hard to take it off. If you want a nice carbon skin, try PhantomSkinz or SGP. They are not like ElementCase's skin. With those skins you can actually feel the texture! :)

thats because element's backing is actual carbon fiber.

all the other skins are just imitation carbon fiber.

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
It's not real carbon fiber. It's like a printed photo covered with some sort of glossy plastic, and an employee from ElementCase told me that's it suppose to be scratch proof. Also I wanted to see how strong it is and to my surprise it's quite strong. I bent it until it broke and it was bent more than 90 degrees :)

NancyZ

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2010
Selden, NY
It's not real carbon fiber. It's like a printed photo covered with some sort of glossy plastic, and an employee from ElementCase told me that's it suppose to be scratch proof. Also I wanted to see how strong it is and to my surprise it's quite strong. I bent it until it broke and it was bent more than 90 degrees :)

That is real carbon fiber, veneered.

SESpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Oh OK but there are way better and nicer skin guards than this one!
Like SGP's ( which comes with a Steinheil ) or PhantomSkinz's but that's part of the Chromaticz kit...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.