Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
**I want to point out I am not associated with Elment Case in any way**

I don't know if many people on these forumns have bought Element Case or are even in the market for one, but I want you to know that their customer service is 1st class.

I placed an order for one on the 22nd of December and figured there would be a delay due to the holidays. I also followed up with them about the free flip lid because I had a small issue with not having the option show up when placing my order. Element Case also sent out an e-mail to everyone that ordered a case the week of Christmas directly to notify us that UPS was not picking up orders for a short time due to the holiday and that we should expect them to ship out on Monday the 29th. I called and Jeff answered (not sure if he is one of the owners or what) he checked the status and told me it was shipping out today (Monday 29 December). I went on to tell him about the issue I had with ordering the flip lid and that i used their "contact us" link in Shop section and had not hear back from them (they had not received the e-mail). He instantly apoligized and asked about the browser I used and said they would send me a 2nd free lid and in the color I wanted since I had problems with the order process and he also sent it out 2nd day air at their expense so I would get my order quicker.

I have another thread about the awful customer service from Ivyskin (by the way this issue still has not been cleared up) and it is wonderful to come across a company with such wonderful customer service such as Element Case.

So if you are considering one of their cases, please consider the customer service pros with this company. They are 1st class. I will most likely post my impressions of the liquid case after I have used it a couple days.

**Repeat - I want to point out that I am not associated with Element Case in any way**

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
element case looks like a great company, im just waiting for a cheaper case to come out for me to buy.

$100 is kind of steep, but with all the money I have spent on cases I am hoping that this case is the one I have been looking for. I am not sure if I will ever find that "perfect" case, but if I can find one that is close I am willing to spend $100!

key714

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2008
Pusan / Anaheim / Greensboro
i'm sold

i was thinking about getting the custom made case from element case
but because of great customer service, i am going to get one for sure :D
i hope they don't charge me whole lot for custom work :D

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Element Case Review

** I AM NOT AFFLIATED WITH ELEMENT CASE IN ANY WAY**

Well on my post that started this thread I mentioned I would probably come back and give you my impressions of the Liquid Case by Element Case so here it is. I decided to hit the following areas, so please go through and read and by all means if you have any questions that I didn’t touch on please ask away!

WHATS IN THE BOX: The Liquid Base and Anodized Aluminum back plate, Bezel, Flip-lid (2), Allen Wrench, and extra screw.

LOOK: In my opinion this case has the look I was looking for! Some people say that the iPhone looks like an external hard drive when using the Liquid Case, in some ways yes, but I would say that it looks like one sweet external hard drive! It grabs attention of on-lookers, yet still gives it the look that I am not afraid to have when in a professional work environment. I love the fact that when you order the liquid case, at least when I ordered it, a free flip lid came so you can change the look of the case anytime you want while not having to purchase a new case to achieve a new look . You can also buy additional flip lids for $19 in 5 or 6 different colors and around 20 different etched designs you can choose from. They also change the design on the black plate periodically (I believe each year) so there are fewer people that have the same case as yours and it will stand out more than potentially any other case.

FEEL: I will just come out and say it…This case does add some bulk to the iPhone, no question about it. So if you’re looking for a no-bulk case this may not be for you, however the way the back is curved and the notches on the side make the Liquid Case feel much more compact. I have small hands and the Liquid case feels good and it makes it so I do not feel like I am going to drop the iPhone when I am using it. The case and flip lid are slick, but with the notches in the case I have not had an issue at all of accidental drops or close calls.

BUILD: Excellent! I had no imperfections in this case; I had no excess material (flash), and no machining issues or scratches. I would trust this case if I dropped my iPhone and trust it would survive the fall. The case would probably be scratch up and may even get a chip, but that is better than a busted and broken iPhone. The flip lid would most likely fall off after impact and the iPhone screen would probably have some scratches, but I believe the hardest impact would be absorbed in the initial hit and that the iPhone would then survive the remaining sliding if the flip lid did become detached. The flip lid is made of acrylic and is prone to scratching.

FIT: The Liquid Case is made to fit both the iPhone 1st generation as well as the iPhone 3G so the case is not machined to fit like a glove. This is not to say the fit is poor because I find it to be a very good fit. The only areas where there are gaps are on the corners where the shape of the iPhone 1st generation and the iPhone 3G are different. I have used the case for 5 days now and removed the iPhone twice to check for any foreign items and have not had much to talk about. A piece of lint here and there from being in my pocket, but nothing you wouldn’t expect from any other case that is being placed in the front or back pocket. I must point out that the iPhone does NOT move when in the case and I have not found any scratches on my iPhone. The bezel, back, and front of the iPhone look the same as when I first placed in the Element Case.

QUALITY vs. COST: The case costs $109 dollars including the cost for shipping and the case in my opinion was worth it. Would I accept it for less, sure, but the product is worth the cost in this case. I would definitely purchase the Liquid Case again and I am looking at getting a costumed designed one to add even more uniqueness and show my love for the Detroit Red Wings!

SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENTS: One thing I would like to see and maybe even others would be the availability of a holster when purchasing the Liquid Case. A hundred dollar case is a steep cost/investment and many people may not want to place this case in their pocket so adding the option for a holster would be a smart move. Also, having the liquid case machined specifically for the 3G and another model number for the 1st Generation in order to remove the gap issue on the corners. A hundred dollar case should fit like a glove even though I have not had any issues with the gaps or movement inside the case this would reduce the chance of any foreign material lodging itself in between the case and the iPhone and causing scratches.

CONCLUSION: I believe I have found the one case for me. The only thing that would get me to switch to another case would be if I found one that provided the look, protection, uniqueness, and quality yet was a little less bulky, fit like a glove, cost a few dollars less, and had the option for a holster. This case is a wonderful case and I am glad I made the purchase!

** I AM NOT AFFLIATED WITH ELEMENT CASE IN ANY WAY**

istinkles

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
You can get a refurbished case for $60. Just type in Blem40off in the coupon area when you're checking out. That's what i'm gonna do.

stangmmx

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
im not gonna lie, IMO it looks pretty awful. Adds some serious bulk. I guess if you're VERY clumsy with your iPhone, then this case is probably for you but... Its pretty tough to scratch the screen, and if you keep your iPhone in your pocket (and not with your keys, pens, loose change, etc), then you shouldn't have a problem keeping it in decent shape. I had an iPod touch for 6 months at least without a case. Not a single scratch on the screen, and the back just looks like how any iPod would look after normal wear and tear. Works great.

Plus, should you get a case, the chances of sand, dust, or any other miniscule particle wedging its way inside are pretty high. I was talking to an apple spokesperson a few days ago, and he explained that Apple stores are making a FORTUNE off their protective case sales, despite the fact that they're relatively useless (unless, like I said, you're THAT clumsy).

My two cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.