Element Vapor vs. Fusion Raw vs. Atomic Hybrid

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ufcfighter, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ufcfighter, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

ufcfighter macrumors 6502

I have had my Vapor for awhile now and to be honest, the only real good thing about the Vapor is the look. The performance of your phone goes down in one way or another. In my particular case, the GPS is off terribly and the signal is down a little, not real bad but bad enough I kept trying other cases. I then tried the alumacase and I am not even going to get into that disaster of a case. Awful finish, terrible signal and even worse GPS. Then I had the Original Atomic and it was not a whole lot better.
    So then the Raw came along and its a very well performing case. I originally had a silver and a black and they had major problems so I returned them both and then I reordered the orange one that just came out and it performs much much better and the finish is alot better also, still not element caliber but pretty damn close. Lets face it, Element finish is what keeps that company in business. Their customer service is crap, the ordering system is a joke and to top it off your phone actually performs worse with it on, so the only upside is the look. The Raw on the other hand is performing pretty well so far. Not a slam dunk but a very good case. GPS is about 90 percent accurate compared to Element's 60-75 at BEST. Signal strength is good and their packaging is second to none. Completely outstanding packaging and excellent customer service. But the bad points of the case to ME!!!! And this is MY opinion is just the awkwardness of the case itself, the sharp edges, the anodizing not being in my opinion GREAT and for some reason it hurts my wifi range the most and I know your not supposed to run a screen protector with it but I will be damn if I carry my phone with out one especially with a case that sits directly on the screen. With that said, the case pulls up my screen protector everytime. It does not matter what brand I use, it still pulls them up and to me that is a problem. Not sure why but all three cases I have tried have done the same thing. But still in MY opinion a very good case.
    Today I got the new Atomic Hybrid's I ordered and they are absolutely great cases. They look great, perform great, they have good packaging now and good carbon too. They are very light and comfortable to hold and the anodizing on the caps is on par with Element and the composite part is flawless as well. So today I put all three cases up against each other, completely unmodified. Straight from the box to the phone and I did a field test, wifi test and GPS test and unfortunately I do not get 3G so that test will have to wait until tomorrow. Although I can already tell you element is not very good in that area because I have used it in 3G conditions alot and you never get the same performance twice in a row from it. So I did all the test with the same phone, same router and drove the exact same route to do the GPS test. I did not document the GPS test because I had no one else to record but here are the results. Element failed tremendously in this category. I would be driving in the field at times, the ditch or sometimes not moving at all, so it by far was the worst. Next was the Raw, it did very well and was accurate I would say 90% of the time but at times would still show me off the road or a block or so away at times. But it did lock into my location very quickly. The new Atomic case was hands down the winner in the GPS department. It was 100 percent accurate all the time, it would find me instantly and never loose me. I drove almost 10 miles and made turn after turn on tight streets and it was with me every step of the way.
    Next was the Wifi test and the Field test. I did document those with lots of pictures and again it was more of the same. Element was the worst in the field test but a little better in the wifi department than the Raw was. But the new Atomic topped them both again in both categories. I know some people are gonna say, well it's not all aluminum so it doesn't count, well it even out performed my apple bumper..No Kidding!!! Looks wise, its a personal choice there. I love the look of the Raw but hate the way it feels, of course the Vapor is excellent in looks but performs the worst. The Atomic also has a very nice finish and feels good in your hand but is much lighter than the other two. So really on looks, it all comes down to personal preference. Finish wise I would say the Vapor and Atomic are close but the Raw is still very good as everyone knows but as you will see with my pictures, the Atomic's new case has made leaps and bounds from their original. The finish is great, even the composite part of the case shows no marks or scratches at all. Like i said, if you didn't know if was not aluminum, you could not tell by looking and I have a picture of it standing side by side next to the ar15 and they look identical. Then you have customer service, well we all know Element is terrible, has always been terrible and more than likely always will be. Fusion on the other hand is ran by great guy, who stands behind his product 100 percent and today, that means something to me. He is very professional and very quick to return emails and that says alot about the company in itself. Atomic filled my order, I payed for overnight shipping and my cases were here when I got home today so what can I say. They delivered as promised. I have never had a problem contacting Atomic although others have. I think there are conflicting email addresses out there that is causing some of the problem and this new case has had them all running for awhile from what I was told by email. From now on things should run smoother from what I have been told. But like I said, I personally have had no problem ever getting ahold of them. They always get back to me the same day. Time will tell on that situation, but I think they are trying and they have always kept their end of the deal when dealing with me. So I personally can not say anything negative about them. I also ordered the new carbon fiber back piece from Atomic to Compare with the Element Carbon and believe it or not, the Atomic is nicer or as nice as the Element carbon. It looks as good and is even thicker than the element carbon. Now to the test pictures, I took a ton and did it all completely fair, even element as bad as I dislike that company was given a fair shake. So here are my pictures of the results taken today. I tried to describe each product as fairly as I could. I think the Atomic case will raise some eye brows when you see the results. I know I was surprised. But I can officially say now that my case search is over, I am sticking with the Atomic. To me it had no downside, it tested great, looks great and fits great. Now the whole drop test theory is like this in my eyes, if you want a case that will protect your phone if it hits the pavement, by an otter-box. If you want some style and protection is not your primary concern, than these cases are what you would want. And no I will not drop test my phone so please don't ask. ;)
    First we will start with packaging, again my hands down favorite is Fusion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then we will go with the Wifi Test, Here the results between the Vapor and Atomic were very close.
    Ar15-Test
    [​IMG]
    Atomic Hybrid-Test
    [​IMG]
    Fusion Raw-Test
    [​IMG]
    Now the Field Test, this was hands down won by the new Atomic. It even performed better than with no case at all. I don't know how but I did this test with this case and with no case several times and every time it was better with the Atomic than going naked.
    AR15 Field Test
    [​IMG]
    Atomic Field Test
    [​IMG]
    NO case Field Test
    [​IMG]
    Fusion Raw Field Test
    [​IMG]
    Here are the rest of the pictures I took today so you can see all the cases from several views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Atomic's button is completely flush, which is great. So no more accidentally turning your phone on in your pocket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Paragraphs are your friends.

Learn to embrace them.

That is all.

3. ufcfighter thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I should have put this in the raw thread, atomic thread and element thread instead of making a new one. I thought this would give buyers a fair comparison between the 3 cases.

4. reeco macrumors regular

reeco

I thought it was a good, comparison. Very informative.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

In the car in motion GPS exposes the signal blocking best.

6. maniacphoner macrumors regular

7. yankintx macrumors 6502

Be nice..Learn to embrace that..

That is all:D

8. BigChevyZ71 macrumors newbie

Vapor "satin nickel " extreme metal !!

I have a Limited Edition Vapor "Satin Nickel" model iPhone 4 Case made by Element , and I love it well worth the $$ !!

9. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

My 2 cents.

Got my fusion toddy. Incredible package you've seen the pictures so no need to dwell on that. Finish is really nice, very impressive.

Bottom line, it saps my cell signal in most of the house. I'll admit i was surprised with the entire side being open.

It's a great case and I'll keep it but I'm glad I didn't order two.

10. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Wish Alumacase made a hybrid type case...I liked Alumacase design the best.

11. perplex macrumors regular

where can i get a fusion toddy?

12. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

It's like a hot toddy.
    Just add aluminum.

13. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

I actually agree with you on this - I liked the look and feel of the alumacase the best, but the performance...OY the performance.

It would be great if they cranked out a hybrid, but I'm not holding my breath on it...at least not yet. First they'll do what all the others are doing and cut slits in the side etc Then, once they've confirmed again that doesn't work, MAYBE they'll look at other materials...but truth told, Alumacase, element and all the others don't seem to be hurting for sales...so I find it highly unlikely they'll make any change at all.

14. reeco macrumors regular

reeco

Fusionwerkz don't need to change materials, as their case seems to have very little impacting signal. Or in my case no affect at all. Got any cases you wanna sell me habeeb? Vapor atomic aluma?

15. glen e macrumors 68030

The fusion for me signal wise is as bad as the rest of them.....and hurts to hold on a long call to boot....

16. ufcfighter thread starter macrumors 6502

I will sell you my orange fusion today shipped for 50 bucks if you live here in the US!

17. ufcfighter thread starter macrumors 6502

I got a AR15, brand new with carbon. 185 shipped.

18. reeco macrumors regular

reeco

Na sorry mate, more than I'm looking to spend.

Thanks

19. ufcfighter thread starter macrumors 6502

It didn't hurt my signal AS bad as the Vapor but the 3G is what is taking the biggest hit and my wifi reception. And it is awkward to hold for any length of time, maybe 10 minutes at most and your ready to put it down.

20. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

My 3 cents.

Update on last night and my drive to work today. (Disclaimer, this is the first case I've used on my normal routine.)

Last night: I can normally use my phone for a full day and by 9 at night I'm getting a 20% warning. I put the case on around 6:30 and my phone was dead by 8:30. It really zapped the life out of 3G and sent the phone looking for a stronger signal to lock onto. I'm sure flipping over to Edge would work better.

My morning commute is roughly 45 minutes along a canyon road in the foothills of Colorado. Signal is weak at best but I can stream music (pandora) the entire way.

This morning I lost signal twice in the low lying areas. Acceptable but not ideal.

Once at work, another weak AT&T area (thank you very much city of Boulder) Inside my office I have to switch to Edge daily as the 3G is worthless. It seems to knock the signal down from 5 to 3 bars. Wi-Fi is also lower at 2 "fan" lines instead of the normal 3. To be fair the work Wi-Fi is way underpowered. Will see how it goes the rest of the day.

My biggest gripe about this one, and the Alumacase. It pushes and peels the edges of my screen protector (power support) up. That just drives me batty as it looks horrible. The Vapor and hopefully the Atomic don't do this.

21. cmoore49 macrumors regular

Fusion Raw for sale

Just received my Fusion Raw Gunmetal and have decided it's not for me.
    Selling for purchase price of $49.99 plus shipping.

22. A684TTQARX7 macrumors member

A684TTQARX7

I agree it does it to me as well, especially the Alumacase. So my Q is why does it do it? Anyone have any ideas how to correct it besides removing the PowerSupport protector, which really is not an acceptable solution.

Anyone?

Thanks,

23. bighabeeb, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

bighabeeb macrumors 6502

You seem to be one of the few who hasn't had any issues with the fusionwerkz from what I've seen...I myself haven't tried one, but judging by what I've seen of reviews, and what I've seen myself from trying other metal cases, its not something that will work for me being in my semi-lousy reception area.

As for selling, nope - my atomic got recycled into the hybrid (which I love - enough that I've ordered more parts), alumacase was returned (yep, ate the shipping both ways), never gotten the chance to order a vapor (nor would I at this point), the exovaults I had were on loan and were sent back...still have an armadillocase that I need to get around to reviewing...but I'm having a hard time motivating as I don't like the look so it's just not something I would use anyway.

BTW, as much as I love the hybrid and will use it often, my day to day case is STILL the body glove vibe slide. It fits all my docks, protects the phone and feels solid,has an almost metallic look to it - if it just weren't that loud electric blue, it would probably be my ideal case (and it pains me to say that as someone who has routinely considered bodyglove to be cheap crap)