Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Basically just looking for feedback on Elements 12.

I currently have both iPhoto and Aperture. I'm not a huge fan of aperture (maybe due to user ignorance). I have used Elements in the past and was happy with it.

I was thinking of purchasing Elements 12 (through adobe, not the app store) and I'm wondering how people feel about it.

Also, is it optimized for retina display?

I think Elements 12 will also be the easiest to use for my wife if she want to do a quick edit, and then export to web.

I have also been thinking about Pixelmator, but I'm undecided on it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I currently have both iPhoto and Aperture. I'm not a huge fan of aperture (maybe due to user ignorance). I have used Elements in the past and was happy with it.

I was thinking of purchasing Elements 12 (through adobe, not the app store) and I'm wondering how people feel about it.

I think Elements 12 will also be the easiest to use for my wife if she want to do a quick edit, and then export to web.

Don't have either, but Pixelmator just had a big upgrade. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1737035/

I use LR myself with various plugins.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Pixelmator is my pixel editor for both Aperture and Lightroom. I use it along with plugins from Nik, OnOneSoftware, and Helicon. Pixelmator is half the cost, or less, of PSE.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Either program is great. Personally I prefer PSE, but that is my preference. Just like the interface and prefer the tool palettes a little better. Both will do a good job for a quick edit and have many plugins available to make those edits even quicker for you.

But PSE 12 is not optimized as of yet for retina display. Here is a link to Adobe Forum boards with a discussion in regards to it. Apparently coming in PSE 13.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Remember Apple used Pixelmator to introduce Mac Pro. ;)

Any reason why you wouldn't use onOne's software suite as a standalone solution? Is it just that pixelmator is less expensive?

Edit: I'm guessing that onOne isn't a true "at the pixel level" editor?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
YOu can use the Perfect Photo suite or the apps as standalone. Personally I only want to manage and edit images via a digital asset manager like Aperture or LR. So I always use Nik, Perfect Photo, Pixelmator, and Helicon Focus as plugins.

Perfect Photo apps, like those in the Nik collection, are not pixel editors. They create layers and mask effects that are typically returned as PSD or TIF images. I rarely need to work on the pixel level.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
@MCAsan - thanks for your help! I'll download a trial of both tonight and give them a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.