Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottR

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
I came across this plug-in that purports to unlock additional features for Photoshop Elements. I came across it because I'd like to use the Auto-Align feature, which this claims to enable, and I haven't updated my copy of Photoshop since CS5 (which is super-unstable under Mojave) though I did buy Elements 2021. Some talk--including in an Adobe Community--says it's legit but it sounds almost too good to be true. A post on photoshopelementsandmore says it was created by one of their members but I don't know anything about the site; I came across the post in trying to look into the plugin.

The installer says it's from an unidentified developer, and though this doesn't automatically mean it's suspect, it has me wary.

Anyone familiar with this? Malware or legit sofware?

Last edited:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Not familiar with it, but if you don't trust it don't install it.

If there's a way to purchase the feature directly from Adobe do it. Or download a legit plug-in direct from the developer.

ScottR

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
The only Adobe route is to subscribe to the full Photoshop Creative Cloud license. My guess is that Elements and Photoshop share a lot of common code, and certain features have been made inaccessible in the "amateur" level product by simply removing the UI access to them, which this plugin enables. My long-past purchase of CS5 was probably overkill for what I needed back then and definitely not warranted now for the few extra features I need. I'm scanning a large number of very old prints and need a few additional tools for touchup--e.g.,, that Auto Align--but that in no way justifies Photoshop (which is why I bought Elements).

The link I posted is to the developer--it's just that the installer gives the "from an unidentified developer" warning, which doesn't mean the software isn't legit. I use plenty of applications that give that error on first run, but I'm usually familiar with the application/developer beforehand. It looks like this plugin has been around for a while, so I'm inclined to think it's OK, but there are some pretty sophisticated scams out there.

Reactions: Digital Skunk

ScottR

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
OK, no answers, so I took the plunge. I first tried the demo--I mounted the image and ran both BitDefender and Malwarebytes. No alerts. Installed and ran again--nothing. I tested it out--disappointing selection of add-ons, but it's a demo, which is sort of the point. That is, what you get for the demo isn't the gee-whiz stuff.

What the heck--it's just $12. I bought it and installed, following the same steps above (Malwarebytes and BitDefender).
Took a little fiddling to get things going, but that's likely due to something on my end.

And it seems to work well--though the only thing I actually tested was the Auto Align, and I think I'm going to have to re-scan the photos I was using because they weren't quite suitable.

But the answer is: yes, this seems legit, and useful, possibly very much so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.