Elevating a Mac Mini reduces heat significantly

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by anp27, Feb 22, 2015.

1. anp27 macrumors regular

Heat is something that I try to be super aware of when it comes to computers. So in my efforts to have everything under control, I decided to put four rubber feet on the four corners of my Mac Mini and even have a little external fan facing the ports at the back. Now that the Mini is elevated by 0.79 inches and with the fan, I'm happy to report that my Mini runs at an average of 45 degrees Celsius with Mail and Safari open. Before this, the temperature was around 55 - 60 degrees running these same applications.

I saw some links of the NuTech Mac Mini stand but didn't really like it since the Mini is held up on its side (vertical position). I read somewhere that heat dissipates much quicker when the object is horizontal as opposed to vertical.

I greatly recommend elevating your Mini if you have one, especially the quad core Minis that tend to run a little warmer.

2. Johnlpi macrumors member

I got an acrylic case for mine and I do worry if I’m not cookin’ the inna’ds. When the fan speeds up it’s blowing hot air out the back so I’m not too concerned - it’s never hot to the touch or anything.

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Sounds like you are trying to blow air into the same exhaust ports where the mini's fan is trying hard to exhaust air out.

4. anp27 thread starter macrumors regular

No, the fan is at a diagonal position. Any air coming out is being blown away, not back in.

5. dyt1983, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

6. anp27 thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I could remember where I read it, but I can't. I'm sure it's something you could Google.

It can, but not if you put the rubber feet at the corners. As long as you don't put them on black circular panel on the bottom, you'll be fine.

I wrote "facing the ports", but I should have written "facing the ports at a diagonal position".

Because the length of the rubber feet I purchased is 0.79 inches.

I would imagine so... there's a guy here on the forum that has his Mac Mini elevated by 2 inches: Link Read post #20.

7. dyt1983, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

8. anp27 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I guess the point is that as long as the Mac mini is not resting on the black panel (as it normally would if it wasn't elevated) you should see a difference. I mentioned 0.79 inches so that anybody reading could get a rough idea of how much the Mini was elevated by. Didn't know I was dealing with an engineer!!!

9. newellj macrumors 601

Mine's been up on rubber feet since I opened the box, but I'm far from convinced that it runs any cooler. :) I put the feet on because it was a little too likely to slide around on the black plastic cover.

10. Brad Bishop macrumors newbie

Brad Bishop

I have a rubber pad I purchased from OWC which fits nicely on the circular disk on the bottom of the mini. No problems.

The "rubber feet / overheating" issue strikes me as:
    - people over thinking this
    - someone had a defective mini which overheated while they had rubber feet/pad on the bottom and started thinking that was the cause.

While I suppose some heat is dissipated via the bottom because if you pick up the mini the table it was on is probably slightly warm, my guess would be that it was minimal and the lion's share of the heat is dissipated via the aluminum case and fans.

To me it's akin to saying, "When I put my cup of coffee on the table it chills my coffee," because, if you pick up your coffee mug it's probably warm just underneath it. Yes, heat is being lost there but much more heat is being lost through the mug on all sides and the top of the mug where it's open.

11. George Dawes macrumors 6502

George Dawes

The 2011 models - i have 2 get very hot , the new one 2014 model is amazingly cool no matter what , both of mine are on 24/7 and don't even get warm , amazing really

12. Brad Bishop macrumors newbie

Brad Bishop

I had a 2011 model running 24/7 for about 2 years without an issue. It may get a little warm if I were transcoding a video or something but I don't ever remember it hot.