Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Elevation Lab made a name for itself with the ultra popular Elevation Dock, which was introduced in 2012 through a Kickstarter project that brought in over a million dollars.

Today, Elevation Lab is unveiling its newest dock, the ElevationDock 4, an amalgamation of everything the company has learned about docks over the course of the last five years.

ElevationDock 4 features a compact design that's meant to take up minimal space on a desk. Adjustment knobs allow it to fit an iPhone and a case that's up to 3.5mm thick, and it's designed to work one-handed, a feature few other docks can offer.

elevationdock1-800x448.jpg

It has an 18° back angle with a +/-4° adjustment so the tilt can be changed for an ideal setup on a desk or nightstand, and the Lightning connector is designed to flex only under high torque to keep the iPhone stable and upright.

The dock is Made for iPhone certified and comes with a built-in Lightning cable. Construction wise, it features stainless steel adjustment knobs and a medical grade silicone overmolded body. It's available in Matte White with a 5-ft braided blue cord or Matte Black with a 5-ft dark braided cord.

elevationdock2-800x348.jpg

Because of its study construction and stable base, the ElevationDock 4 is compatible with both the iPhone and the iPad. It will work with iPads as large as the 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

ElevationDock 4 can be purchased from the Elevation Lab website for $59. Orders will start shipping out in two weeks.

Article Link: Elevation Lab Debuts New ElevationDock 4 for iPhone and iPad

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Could we at least get a "SPONSORED" tag somewhere on this obviously sponsored story?
MacRumors posts accessories and industry related products and services all the time. If it was sponsored, it would have a note at the bottom like this:

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors.

Furthermore, it's generally a good idea to have tracking URLs on sponsored links. Do you see any? Oh, you don't? That's because it's not sponsored.
[doublepost=1504808807][/doublepost]I think it's funny every year when these companies come out with new docks ahead of a new iPhone. I never end up buying one precisely for this reason. Well this year they caught on—right? RIGHT?!? Well, it is adjustable. But the new iPhone is supposed to have inductive charging. And that's what's wrong with buying this now. It's always something, isn't it? They just can't get it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Ships in 2 weeks...just in time for the wireless charging iPhone.

And it does have an adjustable lightning connector for phones in cases. This important tidbit is missing in the article.

Ultra-precise adjustment to perfectly fit your iPhone & case up to 3.2mm.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
MacRumors posts accessories and industry related products and services all the time. If it was sponsored, it would have a note at the bottom like this:

Furthermore, it's generally a good idea to have tracking URLs on sponsored links. Do you see any? Oh, you don't? That's because it's not sponsored.
[doublepost=1504808807][/doublepost]I think it's funny every year when these companies come out with new docks ahead of a new iPhone. I never end up buying one precisely for this reason. Well this year they caught on—right? RIGHT?!? Well, it is adjustable. But the new iPhone is supposed to have inductive charging. And that's what's wrong with buying this now. It's always something, isn't it? They just can't get it right.
I love the above comment as it is correct and reasonable :) and applause the commentator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: macduke and jef82

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Could we at least get a "SPONSORED" tag somewhere on this obviously sponsored story?

I agree. This reads like a copy/pasted press release.

Please MR, put some spin on these stories.

As for the dock? It’s not as nice as the original Aluminium design.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
This looks very nice. I've been unhappy with pretty much every iPhone dock I've seen so far, such as the TwelveSouth I currently use which is okay but has a lot to be desired.

If this can live up to its promises then it will be perfect.

jacjustjac

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
New York, NY
Now, I have never bought a dock for my phone, because I prefer the flexibility of a 2 meter long lightning cable, but I’ve bought two docks for my Apple Watch so far. So when the iPhone gets wireless charging, a dock like this would suddenly look very appealing.

TFloyd

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Who know's what the charge rate will be for the inductive charging in the iPhone 8. I've heard 7.5 watts. If that's true, a device charged via Lightning charges at 12 watts.

We'll have to wait until next week to know if there is some Apple proprietary tech in their wireless charging that changes the game.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

That's not true. MacRumors uses Skimlinks which quickly applies the affiliate link to any eligible link when you click it, in the process of redirecting you to the site.

Skimlinks is one of the largest reasons for the slow load times on MR. It has a huge impact on page speed and can even cause render blocks because of the position of the code on the site.

pc1xztG.png

It's also very simple to provide any data on link clicks to partners or others if this was a paid promotion, even without the need for a tracking code.

Reactions: DogHouseDub

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This does look like the best iPhone dock I have seen. The one thing I hate about all the others is that they want to hold your phone by the lightning port alone, which is just asking for something to break if you accidentally bump it on your nightstand.

At $60 though it is a bit too pricey. $40 and I would be immediately sold. I guess they are pricing it with Apple's own overpriced dock in mind ($50 for the metal versions)

Blu Reel

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Southern California
Looks sturdier than most of the others that I've seen, but price point is too high for me. Hehe maybe a junior version that supports iPhone only at a cheaper price?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Ships in 2 weeks...just in time for the wireless charging iPhone.
They have a pattern to keep up. They shipped their first dock, a lovingly machined chunk of aluminum with a specially engineered 30-pin connector, shortly before the iPhone 5 came out with the Lightning connector. They eventually made a retrofit kit to use a (user supplied) lightning cable, but it lost one of its flagship features, the ability to just lift the phone off the dock.

This one looks nicely done. It remains to be seen how big a deal the wireless charging is (yes, it's cool, but if I'm putting the phone on a dock how much does Lightning vs. inductive matter?). And the knurled handles on the adjustment screws seem weirdly long - could be half that length, would be more aesthetic and still easily adjustable.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Dock4 comes with preinstalled Nanopad.

Hopefully you're right! It is very confusingly put...

This dock looks excellent. A dock that can hold iPhone and iPad (until I get a 12.9" one at least) and can be used one-handed and adjustable for cases. They literally thought of everything, and I literally ordered immediately when I saw the video. Probably will get a second one (bedside table & home-office) if it turns out to be as good as promised when I get it

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's not true. MacRumors uses Skimlinks which quickly applies the affiliate link to any eligible link when you click it, in the process of redirecting you to the site.

Skimlinks is one of the largest reasons for the slow load times on MR. It has a huge impact on page speed and can even cause render blocks because of the position of the code on the site.

pc1xztG.png

It's also very simple to provide any data on link clicks to partners or others if this was a paid promotion, even without the need for a tracking code.
I guess but they've used special links on paid promo or affiliate posts in the past. But yeah, I've seen them do that with Amazon links that we post in the accessories forums, for example. And I suppose they could provide data, but everything is so automated nowadays. About the only one that probably still runs like that is Daring Fireball. Skim links is just an extra way to make money and I don't see anything wrong with it ethically, just the slowdown stuff that sucks.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I guess but they've used special links on paid promo or affiliate posts in the past. But yeah, I've seen them do that with Amazon links that we post in the accessories forums, for example. And I suppose they could provide data, but everything is so automated nowadays. About the only one that probably still runs like that is Daring Fireball. Skim links is just an extra way to make money and I don't see anything wrong with it ethically, just the slowdown stuff that sucks.

It means that if someone here shares a helpful answer and links to an Amazon product to fix a problem someone else has, MR gets the money rather than the helpful person. Kinda messed up to take that away from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.