Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Elevation Lab, known for its line of popular iPhone charging docks, today released the FamilyCharger, a multi-charging setup designed to allow you to charge all of your devices in one place.

The FamilyCharger includes three Lightning cables, one microUSB cable, and one USB-C cable for charging iPhones, Android devices, iPads, and more.

familycharger1-800x691.jpg

A thick braided cord keeps all of the individual cords together and delivers 2.4A of power to each connector. With the included silicone mounts, the cable can be routed anywhere, such as a desk, a bookshelf, or another central location in the home. The main cord is nine feet long.

familycharger2-800x533.jpg

According to Elevation Lab, the FamilyCharger was designed to have the smallest footprint of any available multi-charger, and it is an Apple Made for iPhone certified device.

familycharger4-800x533.jpg

The FamilyCharger is powered by an included 65W power supply, though Elevation Lab also sells a cord-only version that lets you use your own five port USB-A power supply if desired.

familycharger3-800x533.jpg

The FamilyCharger can be ordered from the Elevation Lab website for $74.95, or $49.99 for the cord only model.

Article Link: Elevation Lab Launches New FamilyCharger With Lightning, USB-C and MicroUSB Connectors

TFloyd

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
With an Apple Watch charger I'd be all over this. Now it's basically useless as a family charger. may as well just keep all the cords I've already got if I have to add more anyway.

I don't understand why they didn't add one

This would push the retail price way up.

Reactions: CarlJ

dchapman68

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
I’m not sure how valuable this is without having 18w USB-C power delivery fast charge capability. An Apple Watch charger would be beneficial to

Reactions: artfossil

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
While I can see this benefiting those households who don't discipline their kids and allow them android phones, why don't you just get whatever cables you want, and then sleeve them?

That's what I did for my nightstand, though my reason was to keep my cats from eating the cables (after they ate my Watch cable).

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I bought an Anker charger with their cables. I can mix, match, and change (as devices get replaced) the connections. Makes a lot more sense than hardwiring a fixed number of cable types and it's cheaper.

Was just going to say something similar. I recently built my own travel charging station for all of our devices with a 6-port RAVpower charger, short Anker Lightening cables, and a few of the scores of micro-USB cables laying around the house for $36 total. And that rig allows you to fully customize what configuration of cables you have depending on your use/case, or as device I/O needs change.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I bought an Anker charger with their cables. I can mix, match, and change (as devices get replaced) the connections. Makes a lot more sense than hardwiring a fixed number of cable types and it's cheaper.
Very much this. I have a very nice Anker 10-port desktop charger and a selection of Anker cables, and I plug in what I need. Easier to rebalance (if, for instance, you find you need more Lightning connectors and fewer MicroUSB), and it handles plugging in things like Apple's Watch charger "puck". And I'm not forced to have all the devices within 18 inches of each other (the way this contraption looks).

Points, though, for the cat paws reaching up to the end table in one of the pictures.
[doublepost=1563482877][/doublepost]
Yeah its the cable - my cat loves my charging cables. Or shoe laces or rope-like stuff in general.
Years ago, when my cats were kittens, I was sitting in the living room playing UT2004 (IIRC) and there was some kitten commotion and then the game seemed to half freeze. One of the kittens had chomped down on the (wired) mouse's cord, driving a fang through the cable. My wife exclaimed with pride, "Look! Sylvie got her first mouse!" She was a bit less happy when I pointed out the permanently attached extremely thin cable was nigh on unrepairable and I'd have to buy a new mouse.

Reactions: CaptainFS

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
With an Apple Watch charger, this would be perfect for travelling. Without it, I'll stick with my current setup, a multi-port USB charging hub and a half dozen individual cables. It'd be nice to simplify all of that and make sure I don't forget a cable, but it's not worth the price unless it bundles everything I need :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I think I'm going to buy this just for my wife and me traveling... we always end up using random outlets all over the hotel room... we end up with stuff charging in the bathroom, in the kitchenette, everywhere, just because there's never enough outlets at the bed.

With this, we could charge both our iPhones, her iPad, my Switch, and her portable battery, Kindle, or GoPro... the only devices left that this wouldn't handle are my Dell laptop + my Apple Watch. I'm always worried we'll forget a cable. Now it's just a matter of bringing this, the laptop cable, and the Apple Watch cable.

Reactions: sinsin07

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
With an Apple Watch charger, this would be perfect for travelling. Without it, I'll stick with my current setup, a multi-port USB charging hub and a half dozen individual cables. It'd be nice to simplify all of that and make sure I don't forget a cable, but it's not worth the price unless it bundles everything I need :)

https://smile.amazon.com/Alex-Tech-...ds=cable+wrap&qid=1563538967&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Just toss some heatshrink tubing on the ends to make it purdy.

Or if you're like me and need cat armor:

https://smile.amazon.com/Copapa-Pol...ds=cable+wrap&qid=1563539010&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Ronlap

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area

Agree. This is planned obsolescence. When you move to devices with other charging ports, like USB-C, you have to toss this out. Better to get a multi-port wall charger with USB and USB-C and replace cables as needed.

As for the Apple Watch charger, just add a Griffin Travel Portable Charger which has a MicroUSB connector on it.

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Not very practical for a family who actually likes to use their devices while they are charging.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
This will very shortly be obsolete if Apple moves to USB-C on the iPhone. Otherwise, it’s a nice idea.

The main thing that I don’t understand is why a 65W adapter when they’re only delivering about 12.5W. This makes no sense unless they got some kind of amazing deal on the 65W adapters.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Is micro usb really dead? I have lots of micro usb devices-- among them a portable keyboard, kindles, a reading light, bluetooth receiver, remote control-- and oh yeah, one of my phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.