Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Elgato has announced five new HomeKit-enabled devices coming to its Eve product line, including the Eve Thermo, Eve Lock, Eve Window Guard, Eve Smoke, and Eve Aqua. The announcement was made ahead of IFA Berlin 2017, a consumer electronics and home appliances trade show taking place from September 1-6 where Elgato will showcase the devices in more detail.

elgato-eve-homekit-new-stuff.jpg

The new Eve Thermo marks the second generation of the product line, introducing capacitive touch controls below an integrated temperature display, all on a small device that connects to a home's radiator to provide smart controls without the need for a bridge. Aimed at European customers, the connected radiator valve detects when users are home and when windows are open, automatically adjusting heat as needed.

With HomeKit, users can set up schedules and timers to activate or deactivate their radiator, and control the temperature through Siri commands. Eve Thermo -- which has a battery life of up to 12 months -- can be mounted vertically or horizontally, and its touch controls can be locked to prevent kids from tampering with the radiator's temperature. Those interested will be able to purchase Eve Thermo starting September 26 for £59.95/69,95 Euro.

Eve Lock is a new intelligent, self-locking lock mechanism that automatically secures the lock of a door after users close the door behind them. Additionally, Eve Lock can be controlled through the iOS Home or Eve apps, so users can open the door when they have a visitor or monitor when an unauthorized attempt to open the door has occurred.

The company also unveiled Eve Smoke, which can link with and activate HomeKit scenes whenever it detects smoke within the home, in order to quickly notify residents of a potential fire. The smoke alarm -- which also sets off a loud noise like traditional alarms -- can be monitored through Apple's Home app like the other Eve products, and its battery lasts for ten years.

To protect the home from intruders, Eve Window Guard can sense tamper force on a window to detect when someone might be trying to break in, and can even notice if the window is open, closed, or tilted. When it recognizes one of these changes in the window's state, the device will send a HomeKit notification to a user's iPhone so they know that there might be an intruder in the home.

Lastly, Eve Aqua lets users water their lawns using HomeKit. After attaching the Bluetooth-enabled controller between a spigot and a hose, they can set up a water schedule to perfectly monitor their lawn care, or ask Siri to turn on the Eve Aqua and immediately sprinkle the lawn or flower beds. The connected Eve app will also track Eve Aqua's activity so users can discover various piece of watering data that Elgato said will help "better cater to your garden's needs."

While the company gave more detailed insight and a price for the Eve Thermo, the four other HomeKit devices did not receive any price points or launch dates at this time. Check out Elgato's website here for more images and information on the new HomeKit products.

Article Link: Elgato Announces Five New HomeKit Devices Including Connected Radiator Valve and Window Guard

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
I've been waiting for a good HomeKit Smoke Alarm. I have their Eve Energy plug and like it, so this just might be the one.

Reactions: boston04and07

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2015
Looks interesting, although I was hoping to see some kind of security system. Does anybody know if the Eve Motions can be used as part of a security system, perhaps connected to a siren?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I've been waiting for a good HomeKit Smoke Alarm. I have their Eve Energy plug and like it, so this just might be the one.

The Eve Smoke has piqued my curiosity as well. I don't like current HomeKit options for smoke alarms and i'm about ready to buy the Nest Protect but I don't want to sit and pray for future HomeKit support from Nest.

Reactions: ksnell

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Count me in as another one interested in the smoke detector. The reviews for the First Alert smoke alarm are terrible so hopefully this one does it right.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
The Eve Smoke has piqued my curiosity as well. I don't like current HomeKit options for smoke alarms and i'm about ready to buy the Nest Protect but I don't want to sit and pray for future HomeKit support from Nest.

100% agree. Not interested in Nest. They seemed promising until they were purchased by Google. Now they just seem dysfunctional as a company. Doubt Google will ever allow them to be HomeKit compatible.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

Nest Protect was a huge mistake for me, a lot of hardware bugs including going off whenever the air is too dry - at 2 or 3 in the morning, setting off my burglar alarms...while nobody is home. Then I'm push alert bombed in the middle of the night and have to turn on the remote cameras to make sure everything's fine. Horrible. Looking to switch to something like this as soon as possible.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I have radiator heating in my home and also use a Nest thermostat. While the idea of scheduling the heat sounds great on paper, I found it took forever and a day to get to a reasonable point and its cheaper/better if I leave it at a constant 70 (give or take a few degrees for morning/night) through the winter.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Would it hurt to announce products when it has more concrete pricing and availability information?

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

What turned you away from the First Alert fire alarm? I didn't dig very deep into it yet but I've been considering that one as well.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I’ve been building up my HomeKit smart home with Eve gear. Really impressed with what they’re doing. I thought that ElGato was a one hit wonder with their EyeTV tv tuner but they’ve totally reinvented themselves as a HomeKit pioneer.

I’m definitely getting the irrigation device. Right now, I have a standard timer that waters my garden regardless of whether it’s raining or recently rained. HomeKit automations should fix that.

I got rid of my Nest when it became clear that they weren’t going to support HomeKit. That’s the clear next target for ElGato. I’m kind of surprised they haven’t built a thermostat yet.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Elgato is definitely serious about HomeKit. This I like.

I wonder how well the window alarm will work with sliding windows?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I’ve been building up my HomeKit smart home with Eve gear. Really impressed with what they’re doing. I thought that ElGato was a one hit wonder with their EyeTV tv tuner but they’ve totally reinvented themselves as a HomeKit pioneer.

I’m definitely getting the irrigation device. Right now, I have a standard timer that waters my garden regardless of whether it’s raining or recently rained. HomeKit automations should fix that.

I got rid of my Nest when it became clear that they weren’t going to support HomeKit. That’s the clear next target for ElGato. I’m kind of surprised they haven’t built a thermostat yet.

Beware, see below:
After attaching the Bluetooth-enabled controller between a spigot and a hose, they can set up a water schedule to perfectly monitor their lawn care

I have the Eve Energy, it's Bluetooth Low Energy only, so limited range.

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
What turned you away from the First Alert fire alarm? I didn't dig very deep into it yet but I've been considering that one as well.

I bought the first alert when it first came out. It seemed ok and I could check its status online via homekit, But it was never supported for triggers: so triggering my lights if it detected something never worked. but after a few months that first one I bought started malfunctioning. Customer service was nice enough and they sent me another. But the first one was still in my house bleeping, and there is no way to stop that until the 10 year battery dies, which may take a few days. So you have to put it somewhere out of ear shot until it dies.

the 2nd one died pretty quickly; same process, they sent me a 3rd; I stuffed that one bleeping out in a barn for a few days. when the 3rd one died, I gave up and threw them away.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I bought the first alert when it first came out. It seemed ok and I could check its status online via homekit, But it was never supported for triggers: so triggering my lights if it detected something never worked. but after a few months that first one I bought started malfunctioning. Customer service was nice enough and they sent me another. But the first one was still in my house bleeping, and there is no way to stop that until the 10 year battery dies, which may take a few days. So you have to put it somewhere out of ear shot until it dies.

the 2nd one died pretty quickly; same process, they sent me a 3rd; I stuffed that one bleeping out in a barn for a few days. when the 3rd one died, I gave up and threw them away.

I bought a about a dozen of the regular ones (no fancy home kit stuff) and I think I had two fail on me so far within the space of a few months. Not really happy about that at all.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I have the Eve Energy, it's Bluetooth Low Energy only, so limited range.

BLE has the same range as Bluetooth, 100 meters.
[doublepost=1504040954][/doublepost]

Holy crap. Well, that just sold me on the Eve for now.
[doublepost=1504040998][/doublepost]
I bought a about a dozen of the regular ones (no fancy home kit stuff) and I think I had two fail on me so far within the space of a few months. Not really happy about that at all.

Man, I'm pretty glad I didn't convince my wife it was worth buying three of the homekit model...she already hates the nest protect.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
I've just bought an EVE thermometer and EVE Energy. The Energy connects to the Apple TV just fine but the range is not good enough for the thermometer. I see that they were going to produce and EVE Extend to expand Bluetooth range for HomeKit devices but there has been radio silence on this for ages.

This got me thinking...
The one thing Apple might have up its sleeve for the Keynote tomorrow could be updated Airport hardware, with Bluetooth 5 +/- mesh networking which will HUGELY expand Bluetooth Homekit devices' range, Airplay 2, local update caching, etc.

Pie in the sky?? I hope not.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
I've just bought an EVE thermometer and EVE Energy. The Energy connects to the Apple TV just fine but the range is not good enough for the thermometer. I see that they were going to produce and EVE Extend to expand Bluetooth range for HomeKit devices but there has been radio silence on this for ages.

This got me thinking...
The one thing Apple might have up its sleeve for the Keynote tomorrow could be updated Airport hardware, with Bluetooth 5 +/- mesh networking which will HUGELY expand Bluetooth Homekit devices' range, Airplay 2, local update caching, etc.

Pie in the sky?? I hope not.
But the mesh networking has to be supported by each of the devices themselves as well. Someone asked about this to Elgato to see if future Eve firmware updates will add the support, but only got the standard "it's not announced yet, so we can't tell you" answer.

On the upside, if Apple TV update (hardware/software) does indeed bring mesh networking support, I'm a bit more inclined to believe that Elgato will have the necessary firmware ready soon.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
But the mesh networking has to be supported by each of the devices themselves as well.

Not necessarily... Only the Airport devices need form the mesh (and I was referring to WiFi mesh networking really) for Bluetooth, and devices only need to connect to their nearest Airport, which relays it back to the main hub (Apple TV or Homepod)

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Not necessarily... Only the Airport devices need form the mesh (and I was referring to WiFi mesh networking really) for Bluetooth, and devices only need to connect to their nearest Airport, which relays it back to the main hub (Apple TV or Homepod)
Ah, so it's like Airport Base Stations acting like additional hubs, much like how you can already do that with additional iPad or Apple TV, but using mesh networking to relay the signal to an actual hub instead of the device itself being a hub? Sounds like a good possibility, and it may circumvent the problems some people have with multiple hub configuration. That was supposed to be the point of once-announced Eve Extend, but Elgato had been quite silent about it ever since. Personally, I'd like a full device-level mesh, but some people may have devices that are too far apart and this sort of solution may come in handy.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
Ah, so it's like Airport Base Stations acting like additional hubs, much like how you can already do that with additional iPad or Apple TV, but using mesh networking to relay the signal to an actual hub instead of the device itself being a hub? Sounds like a good possibility, and it may circumvent the problems some people have with multiple hub configuration. That was supposed to be the point of once-announced Eve Extend, but Elgato had been quite silent about it ever since. Personally, I'd like a full device-level mesh, but some people may have devices that are too far apart and this sort of solution may come in handy.

Yes, that's what I'm hoping for - and there is no reason that devices can't form a mesh in addition to this as their firmwares are updated.

I hope new Airport hardware is their 'one more thing...' announcement tomorrow. The Airports are great devices, with tight ties to the Apple ecosystem... but the hardware in them sorely needs updating. Now is the time, especially with the Homepod and the greater push for HomeKit hardware.

The other reason I'm interested in seeing new Airport Express hardware in particularly is for Airplay 2 compatibility. I have two very nice (and expensive) B&O speakers in my lounge which I Airplay to via an Airport Express. I have no interest in a Homepod... and never will. I use Airplay to the speakers and Siri (and the 'Now Playing' app) on my Apple Watch to control it all. Oh, and my speakers don't look like an oversized tampon. :p

I hoping that Elgato going silent on the EVE Extend is a result of them knowing about omething Apple is developing which will fill that void. It could explain why so many HomeKit announcements have not seen any new hardware (thinking Belkin Wemo, etc. as an example). I expect a lot more HomeKit discussion tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.