Elgato Announces New HomeKit-Enabled Eve Aqua and Eve Flare Lamp

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Elgato today announced the launch of two new HomeKit-enabled accessories, the Eve Aqua and the Eve Flare.

The Eve Aqua is a HomeKit-enabled smart water controller, timer, and usage meter that's designed to control your sprinklers. With Eve Aqua, you can control your sprinklers or other irrigation system using the Eve app, the Home app, or Siri voice commands.

[​IMG]

There is an auto shutoff feature so you can enable the Eve Aqua via a voice command and then trust it to shut off after a period of time. Like other Eve products, the Eve Aqua connects to a HomeKit setup using Bluetooth.

Using HomeKit timers and automations, you can create autonomous schedules for your sprinkler system with the Eve app, and if you have an iPad, Apple TV, or HomePod as a home hub you can control your outdoor irrigation while away from home.

[​IMG]

In addition to offering control over your water system, the Eve Aqua is able to track water consumption based on an irrigation system's flow rate, with the information visible in the Eve app.

The Eve Aqua is UV and water resistant and can be left connected up to your irrigation system all the time.

Elgato's new Eve Aqua is priced at $99.95 and can be pre-ordered from the Elgato website in the United States starting today.

Along with the Eve Aqua, Elgato is also debuting the Eve Flare, a HomeKit-enabled portable LED lamp that's available exclusively in Europe.

[​IMG]

The Bluetooth-enabled Eve Flare is a round multi-colored indoor/outdoor lamp that's water resistant and able to offer six hours of illumination. It charges wirelessly and features a carry and hang handle. Like other HomeKit-enabled lamps, it can be controlled through Siri voice commands or through the Home app, and it can be set to any color of the rainbow.

Elgato is making the Eve Flare available for pre-order in Europe starting today for 99 euros.

Article Link: Elgato Announces New HomeKit-Enabled Eve Aqua and Eve Flare Lamp

2. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

Well, this is actually useful. Unlike the app that lets you control your shower. :p

3. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure I'd like this Eve Aqua. Ironic timing, as my current (very old school battery powered water timer) decided to die this weekend.

I'd use it to control the watering system that keeps my house foundation watered. Sprinkler system is controlled well via Rachio gen 2.

4. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

5. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

What sort of house needs the foundation watered? That's a new one for me.

6. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Both read as potentially very useful products. Hopefully they will prove more popular than any knockoff versions - Elgato seems to be a quality company producing some genuinely helpful items for HomeKit-enabled homes.

Now just need to replace scrub with a nice garden and will look at buying both.

7. bLackjackj macrumors member

For the moment, yes..it has to debut first somewhere, Lol

You know you can still order one, there isn't a wall between Europe & the rest of the world!

8. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Ones in Texas built on a clay/soil mix :) Ugly shifting and internal/external cracks will result from houses on dry soil common here in the summer. Technically we use drip irrigation to water the soil about 12" from the foundation, but everyone refers to it as "watering the foundation".
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2018 ---
    OK I'll be the guinea pig.. just ordered one from Elgato.com

9. Ngaaihguy macrumors newbie

I just picked up a hose faucet timer similar to this one (it seems to do all of the same stuff) that I really like from Lowe's. Bonus, it was $30 cheaper.

I've used some of Elgato's products in the past...just stuff for my mac, but I have had no issues with their stuff. I don't know about their capabilities in other areas. I know, as an engineer, that mixing water with electronics is more complicated than most people probably think.

Here is what I bought: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-Smart-Hose-Faucet-Timer-with-Hub/1000373249

10. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

I looked at that one as well. Personally I'll pay the extra $30 just to have one less plug-thingy/hub, and better integration with the iOS Home App.

11. Morris macrumors regular

Those living in the 21st century may find it comforting that the app can also display consumption in litres. :)

[​IMG]

12. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I’d buy the Eve Aqua if I didn’t need three of them. I really need to figure out a better system at some point.

13. Bark macrumors newbie

Bark

So it will only has one water output it appears? That would work for my current needs but I have dealt with situations in the past that would not be enough. It would be nice to see it allow for adding additional water lines out.

14. Ngaaihguy macrumors newbie

Seems like a lot of shade being thrown around about a product that isn’t even available yet.

Wonder why?

15. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

What would be really cool is if the Aqua recharged its battery via the force of the water spinning a turbine. Probably wouldn’t generate enough power though.

16. Morris macrumors regular

It might be that it is only sold in Europe at the moment because it’s a European version. European countries use 230V 50Hz mains power so it might only work there. If the product can’t switch to 110V 60HZ automatically you may need a special American version (probably available later).

Make sure you check before you order one from across the Atlantic.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

81EALPObuhL._SY355_.jpg

Water, electronics, the internet, outdoors... what could possibly go wrong?

18. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Many of the "old-school" timers have allowances for 4 zones. My old Orbit system came with a 4-way adapter and you could have up to 4 separate valves on individual timers.

I've always felt that an internet/wifi controlled system would be a huge game changer, but there really aren't that many folks out there that are willing to leave hoses strewn across the yard full-time. I've taken to burying in-ground sprinkler heads and adapting garden hose connections to them so that I can leave the sprinklers in place and just run a hose to the location. A simple egg-timer turns off the water and I move the hose to the next location.

My next upgrade is to bury waterlines to supply a few heads (maybe 3 or 4) so that I can run a single hose to the common hose connection and then water a much larger zone in one sitting.

That is actually a great idea. You could pair it with some solar cells to generate some electricity to charge the battery when you're not watering.

19. SantaFeNM macrumors member

SantaFeNM

It would be cool! That's how those urinal sensors work, by using the moving water to recharge the battery powering the motion sensor.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Our entire irrigation system is controlled by a single programmable timer that can handle as many as nine zones. The low-voltage valves in the yard are wired directly to the timer. This is just about the most robust system you can get given that the timing system can be mounted in a protected area and the critical functions are centralized. Still, the valves do get damaged and leak occasionally. A smart version of a full yard timer would present some interesting opportunities particularly if it could be mated with hygrometers.

This Elgato product doesn't impress me as being very useful. Relies on a battery, and we should know outdoor electronics just don't fare very well.

21. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Useful for people renting homes/condos and don't want to invest in a full-blown irrigation system. Or if you want to add smart watering functionality to a place in your house that doesn't have irrigation lines/wiring run already.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In that case a hose timer can be purchased under $30. It's paying more three times that much for a "smart" hose timer that doesn't have any really smart functions that seems like a classic case overkilling a simple problem.

23. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Yes, I had a hose timer for $30 that just broke. It was a purely manual process to deal with rain delays, checking to see if it was “on”(like I’d often not know for a week when the batteries had died), etc. I’ll pay the extra $60-$70 to get something a bit more sophisticated and simplifies my life just a bit. Could you go back to a manual sprinkler controller after using a Rachio for a while?

Maybe it will stink. Buy for $100, I’ll give it a try and report back.

24. IJ Reilly, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In the interests of science, by all means!

I've seen net capable hose timers for around $50. Maybe not HomeKit, but they can be controlled remotely.

My attraction to "smart" devices is how they can interact with other smart devices. A camera detects motion and turns on a light, your thermostat knows when you aren't home, that sort of thing. Hey maybe you could set your sprinklers to come on when somebody rings your front doorbell. That could be a hoot! :)

25. bLackjackj macrumors member

Ever heard of a simple converter?