Elgato EyeTV 3 Streaming Web App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dhartung02, Dec 16, 2009.

1. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Elgato just released a new Live TV Streaming Web App for the iPhone. Check it out!

http://eyetv.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/software/EyeTV-app.en.html

Live3G: Web App

Stream live television over a 3G connection to an iPhone – with Elgato’s Live3G web app, you can watch live TV and EyeTV recordings anywhere. The Live3G web app runs in the Safari browser on your iPhone. It’s free and is available at https://live3g.eyetv.com.
    Live3G: Web app
    Main Menu Main Menu
    Live TV Live TV
    Recordings Recordings

What’s more, Web apps have access to TV-out on your iPhone. So as an added benefit of Live3G, you can watch live and recorded TV on a big screen television or projector by connecting your iPhone with a compatible cable.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Downloading the update for EyeTV.

Looking forward to seeing if there is any better performance over 3G compared to the original EyeTV app.

EDIT: Takes ages to buffer, then it'll play fine, then take a while to buffer again.

Not sure if this is related to my upload speed from my ISP or just O2's 3G speed..

3. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

If you're in the UK you can always use tvcatchup for live streaming TV rather than an app. Works great.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I was excited until I remember my cable company encrypted all their channels (even locals) last week. So, no more clear-QAM for me. :(

I guess I should put up an antenna at some point.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Woa. Never discovered that before.. thank you!

Works brilliant over 3G - occasional buffer, but perfect!

6. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Can't get it to work. It says "Connecting to [my computer name]" forever and times out.

The self-test in EyeTV prefs fails too. (Red dot, failure to automatically config router. That's OK, I don't mind setting my router up manually.)

The EyeTV "real" app does work. (Not from within my LAN though--I always turn off WiFi and force 3G for testing any kind of remote services, because AT&T DSL likes it better that way. And this new web app acts weird on LAN too: it presents a whole other login screen that I have to just cancel.)

I saw that it was trying to connect to port 2171, so I forward that on my router in addition to 2170 which the "real" app uses. Didn't help.

Are there other ports I need to forward maybe? ElGato's docs don't currently even mention 2171.

7. kolax macrumors G3

Try disabling the OS X firewall.. I had trouble with the original app and the OS X firewall preventing access.

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

It ended up working great for me right out the box.

It's a lifesaver too. I'm about to undertake a road trip from FLA to DC to NY. My GF will enjoy watching all our local channels and I'll love listening to it.

I just wish it would work under edge. That's asking WAY too much from ATT. I wonder how much well 3g covers i95....

You gotta admit this is a great way around AppStore restrictions.

9. iVoid macrumors 65816

Ah, so this is how they get around Apple making them kill 3G access on their App version.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Blame AT&T. Why would Apple care...?

11. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Ah yes—I recall ElGato stuff being OK in my firewall once in the past, and yet needing to be re-added. Maybe that has happened again. I’ll check.

12. jTreu macrumors 6502

i got the app to work for wifi and streaming recordings over 3g, but when i try to use the website for 3g live streaming it gets stuck on connecting to my computer, anyone else have this problem?

edit - got it to work when i took the passcode off, weird. quality is great for me over 3G, slight delay from live TV but no buffering or anything, great smooth playback. Eyetv is awesome for adding all this functionality to the tuner for $5.