Elgato EyeTV DTT - Windows compatible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Peter Crowder, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Peter Crowder macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I just got my first Macintosh - a 20" iMac (2.4GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD) and I'm looking to buy a suitable TV tuner.

The Elgato EyeTV DTT matches my needs perfectly and I live in a good area for Freeview. What I'd like to know, though, is whether this tuner is also compatible with Windows - more specifically, Vista Home Premium (and also, therefore, Vista Media Centre). Any thoughts on how well the EyeTV software works would also be appreciated!

If it doesn't work with Windows, can anyone suggest a TV tuner that does work with Windows without breaking the bank? (Sub-£50 for me!)

Thanks very much and I'm glad to be a new member after reading the site for weeks before I recieved my iMac!

Peter

2. moongravy macrumors member

moongravy

I think this model is based on the Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-USB Stick. It should work with Vista if Hauppauge's software is compatible. It would be worth checking on the Elgato forums and asking one of their employes just to be sure.

The EyeTV software is pretty good, better than I remember Hauppauge's on Windows being.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I only use my EyeTV for DTT in OSX, but once I got sick of the "new hardware" popups it caused when I booted into XP so I thought I'd run with it...

It did work. The software itself was ugly and I forgot what exact version it was (Hauppage, Roxio, whatever). I keep meaning to install it again so I can retain the DVR function of my mac.

My machine (if it helps) is a 2ghz C2D iMac, OSX and XP SP3. Elgato EyeTV for DTT (the little block one with the megabright blue LED).

4. aLoC macrumors 6502a

I have EyeTV for DTT and yes it does work with Vista Media Centre.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I had a good feeling about that. Thanks for confirming it.

6. Peter Crowder thread starter macrumors newbie

That's fantastic to hear! Ordered right now. Thanks a lot guys!

7. vsbalint macrumors newbie

Is also the latest 2008 version Windows compatible?

8. giuseppe.mac macrumors newbie

EyeTV Diversity windows XP compatibility???

Hi,

I've found this last post very near what I'm trying to find and I would like to get an updated feddback.

I have just bought an Elgato EyeTV Diversity to record live TV using my iMac 20" alu, as my second HDD tv recorder. Just a couple of words to say it works fine, superb video quality, also in diversity mode where you can view and/or record two channels simulaneously (it brings a coax adapter that feeds both antenna inputs from a single std connetion).

As I still don't have a macbook :confused: ,my laptop works on XP and now I wonder if I can use this TV tuner using some kind of hauppage driver and software so I can watch TV during my travels.

I have read some forums talking about hauppage software that worked fine with some models of Elgato sticks, but I can't do it with my EyeTV Diversity.

I have installed latest WinTV 7 software and Nova-T-TD-Stick driver (which seems to be identical to Elgato's) but it does not recognize the hardware.

Maybe now hauppage software detects the device as an Elgato hardware and refuses to connect to it.
    System Profiler does detect this device as an EyeTV diversity, so maybe hauppage does the same??

So..... Anyone has been able to manage a newest EyeTV Diversity from XP? (and I'm really sorry to ask this kind of question in a Mac forum, you know....)

Thank you very much in advance

9. jordan399 macrumors newbie

old thread but help is needed.

ive got the eyetv dtt (its new probably the 2008 version) and I can confirm that it doesnt work in windows. When i plug the device in it is detected as an elgate eyetv device - not a haupauge. This is probably a limitation of the newest device and I wouldnt be surprised if the hardware is the same as before - just reporting a different hardware id/name

does anyone know what driver files I would need to edit to get it to work (or atleast attempt to get it to work)?

cheers,

10. jpbl68 macrumors member

11. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Here is the link in the forums on how to get it to work you have to use hacked drivers. Linky.

12. jpbl68 macrumors member

13. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I know that link works for windows media center.

14. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I did something similar. I got the Hauppage WinTV usb tuner and the EyeTV software separately. On Mac I use EyeTV, in bootcamp I use media center or the WinTV software.

15. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Has anyone been able to view their content in Windows? I can view my Paid TV and shows on my Mac and iPhone but when I even use Safari in Windows, it says to get Mac OS X 10.6 or an iPhone. Is there a work around for this?