Elgato EyeTV Hybrid VS Pinnacle PCTV 800E

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ryanflucas, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ryanflucas macrumors regular

ryanflucas

I currently use a Pinnacle PCTV 800E (normally made for Windows PC's) with EyeTV 3.0 on my iMac. Lately it seems that I get pixelization, stuttering, sound glitches in HD recordings. I've been thinking that I may need to upgrade to a *real* tv tuning adapter made for Mac.

I just want to make sure I get something better then my current setup. I record shows and watch live tv, but I don't have cable or satellite tv. Everything I use is HDTV over the air. I've been using the standard stick antenna that came with my adapter, but haven't tried powered rabbit ears.

My specs: iMac Core2Duo 2.8GHZ, 4GB Ram, 500GB Hard Disk, Geforce 8800GS 512MB, Mac OS 10.5 Leopard.

I've been looking at Elgato EyeTV Hybrid, but in general looks it seems to be almost identical to my current PC tuner I'm using. I want to make sure it isn't. While correcting the video issues is my primary concern, I hope I can find something that is better while I'm spending this much.

Any recommendations?

I wish I could find something that would record and then auto convert to AVI format, or do it on the fly. I recorded the premier of My Own Worst Enemy and it came in at 7.22GB. The Saturday Night Live Political Special came in at 12GB. Maybe thats normal, but it seems large, even for HDTV.

2. ajkst1 macrumors member

I have the 800e. I've been getting crashes with timeshifting. If I turn it off, I get live TV and it works fine, but I can't rewind or pause live TV (obviously). If I turn it on, it works, but once the live tv buffer gets to 11-12 minutes, playback stops. I can rewind and rewatch the buffer, but live TV is gone. EyeTV crashes and won't allow me to view TV until I restart. It's annoying and I'm looking for any help on this one.

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I have the Elgato Hybrid USB and I love it. Ive never had any issues (not since upgrading the SW).

I can even stream it out to the Mini accross the network while watching/recording on the Mac Pro.

Ithink it is an awesome little device (Although I dont try and do any crazy stuff with it). I mainly use it for watching the news and/or discovery while working.