Elgato Eyetv Hybrid with PS3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skedealz, Jul 27, 2008.

1. skedealz macrumors member

Can I easily hook up my PS3, Wii or whatever system to my macbook pro and play it on there with the eyetv hybrid? Will there be delay? I googled this for a bit and I read from I think the apple store that there IS zero delay but from what i read elsewhere, it says there is a bit of a delay. Does anyone have experience with this product?

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I think it's alright just viewing it, but don't try to record gameplay unless you want to watch yourself die repeatedly. Big time lag.

3. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

its alright playing it though? no lag at all but only when you record?

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

EyeTV Hybrid is used to recieve DVB-T and DVB-C signals. While you can connect a PS3 using composite video, you won't see HD images or have gameplay which is lag free.

Do your PS3 justice and buy a proper TV for it.

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'm pretty sure the signal lags regardless. when watching a TV show it doesn't matter, not even while using the PVR.

Playing Call Of Duty 4 on my Ps3 requires more speed. If internet connection lag isn't enough of a problem, video lag sure would be. Get a real TV for video games.

I use EyeTV to record TV or any analog video source. A Real TV is for most watching, especially when the mac is powered off or sleeping. If I feel like recording gameplay, I would have to switch to Regular definition, which looks like crap, and split the signal so I don't actually have to view it on the severely lagging EyeTV screen.

I say stick with a regular TV for games. Unless apple has some other sort of product that doesn't have a PVR, and other fancy stuff that causes any lag in the signal.

6. darthmullet macrumors member

i second i.shaun's statement: it will lag too much unless you split the signal and play on the real tv; then you'll be using standard definition anyway so it's not a very good image... (the eyetv is awesome for OTA high def., on a slightly unrelated note)

7. mchank macrumors regular

The Eyetv 250 Plus supposely has no lag when hooked up with a game console because its hardware accelerated unlike the Hybrid.

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I have a Wii connected to my Mac via an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid.

I don't notice any lag playing via the EyeTV versus having it connected directly to a TV. I've also tried recording gameplay and haven't noticed any lag then either.

9. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

well then you're lucky

Playing something like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare is hard with video lag. Enemy walks around the corner and kills you before you even see him.

10. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Just thought I try something as I find the pointer on the Wii lags a little even when connected to the TV directly.

I connected my Mac Mini via an S-Video adapter to the EyeTV Hybrid and then outputted it's video onto my Mac Pro's screen. There is a very small amount of lag with moving the Mac Mini's mouse around which shows up if you move the mouse in a circle.

As far as the Wii goes often I am just playing slow paced games, however I have no problem playing things like Metroid Prime 3, Sin and Punishment, Red Steel etc... There is certainly no problem with enemies walking around the corner and killing you before you see them.

However if I try to connect the Wii to my Mac Mini via the EyeTV Hybrid it does lag as the processor usage hits 100%.

11. darthmullet macrumors member

almost lag free on a Mac Pro and considerably more lag on a Mac Mini?

The question is, which side of this will the macbook pro be on? I think a little less lag than the mac mini, but it'll still lag a little more than the Mac Pro, possibly enough to be a pain. My Macbook Pro has too much lag to play video games via the hybrid, but it's a Core Duo model, so it's pretty old. Maybe a core 2 duo wouldn't have the same problem?

12. josh2 macrumors newbie

how about a new imac 27" quad core i7 2.93ghz ... can i play black ops on this??

13. asoksevil macrumors 6502

If that's a thunderbolt iMac then you better get the Blackmagic Intensity Extreme in order to play LAG FREE on your iMac as it uses thunderbolt to transmit data, video and audio.