Elgato EyeTV Mobile for Apple iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by bmstrong, Jul 7, 2012.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd6tKHK1_pU

Seriously wondering if it works as advertised and how it looks on the Retina. Does anyone use one on a regular basis?

I'm torn between an iPad or a rMBP for my first computer.

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I've used the EyeTV HD for over a year and it works great. Haven't noticed much of a difference streaming it on either the iPad 2 and the iPad 3. Picture quality is HD and about the same on both.

3. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

What kind of channels do you get? How much battery drain? Do you use it on a daily basis? Thanks!

4. mike457 macrumors 6502

I think the two of you are talking about different devices. The EyeTV HD allows transcoding of recorded TV shows which can then be streamed to the iPad. The EyeTV Mobile is actually a live tuner connected to the iPad; I believe it's not available in North America.

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, I misunderstood. I thought the op was asking about the EyeTV iPad application which streams live and recorded TV from your existing provider via the EyeTV HD or EyeTV Hybrid.

6. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Correct. I'm interested in getting live TV straight on the iPad 3 or New iPad. Is there a specific reason why it's not available in NA? If I were to import on from Amazon or some such? Would it work?

I really need to find a couple people who use these daily to get a good idea how well they hold up over time.

7. mike457 macrumors 6502

There is the difference between NTSC and Pal, which is probably a factor. I would imagine that greater distances in North America are an issue; the experience is likely to be satisfactory only in major cities, close to broadcast centres. Then, of course, there's the ever popular fear of the copyright police.

8. bmstrong, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012