Elgato EyeTV or Miglia TVMini? Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ss957916, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I've heard the quality of the Eye TV is fairly awful and that it doesn't do widescreen?!

The Miglia TVMini doesn't offer any real suggestions of the final quality of the recorded picture.

I have a Humax HDD recorder which, on my 32" Viera, look pretty much the same as off-air. I also have Apple TV and want to record stuff on my Mac and watch it on the Apple TV.

Will either of these offer quality similar to off-air or at least watchable on my 32"?

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I have the TVMini.

You heard wrong. The quality is actually quite good and it records in RAW format so you can convert it to whatever you need. It will allow you to convert video for AppleTV format.

Just make sure you stay up to date on the EyeTV program version.

3. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could you give me an idea of how big the files are from your TVMini?

4. ilovebananas macrumors member

EyeTV excellent

As the previous poster said the quality form eyetv is excellent and on par with any PVR I know (humax included). It does widescreen perfectly. I have been using a mac mini/eyetv diversity/32" philips 1080p tv for over 18 months and am very happy with it.
    Also as mentioned you can convert to any format you want. If you export for Apple TV, IMO the picture quality is same as original and file size can drop by upto 40%.
    As for recording size, no easy answer as the software does indeed record "RAW". The quality/bitrate of programs varies all the time.
    For instance I can record a standard film from channel 4 (say 100+ mins) and it can be under 2GB. If I record premium content the bitrate is higher, a Doctor Who episode is about 1.5GB (under 45 mins).
    If you export the show to mpeg2 the size drops as the file recorded by EyeTV contains all sorts of extra data about the recording. Once in MPEG2, you can play it back in almost anything.

5. eldy macrumors 6502

i use the eyetv. the only problem is that the iphone doesn't use satellites! it's fairly useless.

6. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I say "I've heard" i mean that I've seen! A mate had it a couple of years ago. The recorded image was awful! Perhaps it's been improved? Am I right in thinking there's a lite version?

Grow up.