Elgato EyeTV work with Satellite TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dylanbrown, Oct 25, 2008.

1. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am thinking about getting an Elgato EyeTV for my Mac. I currently receive digital TV via satellite from Sky Digital.

I am wondering if I could take the dish input and put it into one of these devices.

Has anyone tried this - and does anyone know if what I'm trying to do will work?

Thanks, Dylan.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Putting aside the fact that doing this may be against some law, it should be easy enough to do.

On my satellite receiver I took the RCA outputs to a box I bought in Radio Shack which gives 4x sets of RCA outputs from the one input. One output went to my surround system, and I fed another one of them to my Elgato Eye. This worked fine for me.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Directly connecting to the cable that comes from the satellite will not work connecting to the cable that comes out of the box you connected the satellite cable too should work depending on the output options the box gives you/input options on the EyeTV. With my Hauppague 950 and EyeTV I connect the s-video from the box to it to get the best video and the composite audio to get my sound from it. So what you need to do is check the outputs on the back of your satellite box and make sure you have the corresponding inputs you want to use on the EyeTV.