Elgato EyeTV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by apthai, Mar 25, 2008.

1. apthai macrumors member

I'm thinking of purchasing this but have a few quick questions before I do.

How much space does a 30min recording take up? I'm wondering because I have a Macbook with 160GB drive and want to make sure there is enough space for my recordings.

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

45 minutes of my local news in high-def was about 7GB. I'd imagine that standard def would be a lot smaller, but I don't have any first-hand experience with SD.

3. apthai thread starter macrumors member

Wow... that's a pretty big file. Anyone else has experience with SD?

4. millap macrumors regular

SD recordings generally occupy about 2-3 GB per hour depending on the bit rate of the original transmission. I normally budget about 5 GB per movie as a rule of thumb, just to be safe.

For long term storage you can trim the commercial breaks and then export as a compressed MP4 or DivX which will occupy about 1GB per movie, again depending on how much you decide to compress the bitrate.

5. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

On mine, it's about 1GB per half hour, and it's in standard quality. I have a 120GB Blackbook, and it easily holds enough TV for me. I would suggest putting the archive on your time machine "Block" list, because it would take up a TON of space. If you can't afford it, get an external drive, and just throw it on there. Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. :D

6. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I consistently get about 1.5GB per 30 minutes (3GB per hour) of SD recording time.