elgato eyetv

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DouglasP, May 8, 2008.

1. DouglasP macrumors newbie

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has one of these units along with an antenna and if so how well does the antenna work? Or give me a link to a good antenna prefer a whip as I want to mount it to my boat

Thanks

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I have an Eyetv setup using an antenna to get OTA HDTV. I use this antenna, and get excellent reception in my area. I can't comment on how well it would work in your area, but you can look here to find out what locals may be saying. I mounted mine indoors, but the product can be mounted indoors, outdoors, or in attics. Perhaps also on a boat. :) Good luck to you.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've got an EyeTV for DTT and I'm wired up to an antenna on the roof. I found the free bundled antenna to be terrible, but then again our signal isn't that great unless you place the antenna someplace high.

4. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

I bought one of these, and connected it to my indoor antenna and picked up 2 measly channels. Then I later unplugged the antenna to do something and noticed that I still get the same 2 channels without the damn antenna!

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The antenna which came with the Miglia TV Mini had a magnet on the bottom. I connected the magnet to the radiator (heater) in my bedroom and I can pick up all of the Freeview channels just fine.

6. OlBlueHair macrumors regular

I have an eyetv and I built an antenna in about 30 minutes at a total cost of 5 bucks from watching this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

I get all the channels except one, and get one with dropouts, just from leaving it indoors in my office. When I put it up in the attic, I get all the channels except that original one I can't get, plus a ton more from other cities.

I'm sure this would work on your boat.

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Wow .. how many free channels are you guys getting?? I don't think this is available to us here on the east coast of Canada :mad:

8. pooky macrumors 6502

I have an eyetv hybrid. My last place was on top of a hill, so I had a direct line of sight to Los Angeles (about 80 km away). With a ultra cheap off-the-shelf antenna from Radio Shack, I could get most of the major channels with good reception.

Now that I've moved somewhere surrounded by mountains, I don't get squat.

Your mileage will vary.

There are websites out there that will show you what channels you should get over the air based on your address. Don't remember which ones off the top of my head, but some googling should get you there.

Edit: found it
    http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In the UK you get all the freeview channels. Only bad thing about my EyeTV is I can't get a card for the pay channels (UK Gold) and it doesn't have the interactive feature.