Elgato: Eyetv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ^^ CoolMacLover, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ^^ CoolMacLover macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Hello. Sorry if this is in the wrong area wasnt sure if it would go in the other area about 3rd party apps. :eek:

Ok my question. For Australian users only please.

Elgato: eyetv DTT Elgato have anyone used any of there TV tuner sticks? If so, what did you think? Is it worth buying? TELL ME EVERYTHING :) about it, what you like dont like. How good the picture is in different parts. Etc. :) Thank you.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

The quality of the picture will depend on how close to the transmitter you are. If you connect via a roof mounted ariel then it should be as good as your TV.

3. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

The EyeTV doesn't do anything to the signal (compress it, resize it etc.) so it'll be pretty much exactly as you see on your TV.

It'll only compress it if you tell it to in order to have it on you iPhone etc.

Apart from the annoyance of having to have the aerial cable plugged into my MBP when it's recorded, I think it's superb.

4. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

How about the eyetv DTT deluxe, the one that has little ariel in it, (so not the one were you plug the ariel cord in) has anyone used that? :rolleyes: Im guessing like all "portable" ariels, they work well in the city, but not in the country. >.<

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have an old(ish) analogue/digital tuner that came with some weird ariel add-on, its ok but not very good even though im in a populated area with fairly good signal strength (>60% for most channels).

i LOVE my tuner though. i connect it via coax, eyetv is a great program. i have it plugged into my i7 imac. i only wish it was:

1. dual channel.
    2. my version was compatible with SL - i dont want to pay for a whole new eyetv just because i upgraded my OS. there is a work around for me though, but it runs rather slow and buggy - still watchable though!

all in all, its great! :D

6. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

:cool: Well so far it all sounds good.

There is a little query, as you could guess I'm out in the country (vic) and for my TV, the stupid thing needs a 'booster' for me to get anything on the TV. My question is, does anyone think ill need to get another booster to get it to have a good signal? :rolleyes: Modern technology, isn't it meant to make our lifes easier :p.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Boosters are quite common there says. We have one in our house.

Is your booster connected to only one coax cable or does it work for all coax cables in your house? If it is the latter, I have no doubt that the eyetv will work perfectly - it is basically just like plugging in another tv! Think of it that way.

8. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

We have one cord, running from the arial into the house *through our window... lazy step father hasnt done anything about it yet* before it comes to the TV we have to run it through a booster, then from the booster we have a cord going to the tv. :confused: So would I still need a booster? Cause what i think ill do, is...

from the cord that comes from the arial, ill put a splitter, then run one cord into my room, and the other into the lounge to go to the tv. in my room, i was going to use another booster, then run it into the eyetv thingy to then watch tv on my mac.

9. mbestel macrumors member

Long experience

Ok, so I've been using a Mac Mini with EyeTV and an EyeTV Diversity dual tuner stick for almost two years as my primary TV recording and playback device. It is plugged into an HD TV and I use an Apple Remote (white) to run it all.

The diversity is connected to a rooftop aerial and gets good signal strength and quality on all channels.

So, I have no experience with running with a single tuner and maybe that would make a difference.

Also, I always use the TV interface rather than the Mac interface (where possible).

Overall, I have found it to be a bit flaky. It's like the TV interface and operation is an afterthought. The software will often (weekly) freeze during playback.

If does all sorts of stupid jumping around programmes when a background recording ends. i.e. it will jump from what you're watching to live tv and then it may, or may not jump back after a few seconds.

The menus are poorly thought out, although it may all work better if I were using an Elgato remote.

And I'm sure there are a few other things too.

Now, overall I am pretty happy with it but it is a constant source of frustration - it also has a variable spousal acceptance factor, as when it doesn't work, there is trouble at my house.

Mark

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh right. if you can put the splitter AFTER the booster then you will be fine. if you put the splitter BEFORE the booster, then im afraid you will need another booster.

:)

11. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Hmmm... that means id need even more cord to run from the splitter to my room XD I think that might be easier, (and less $$$) :) Thank you everyone for your help.