Elgato hybrid or hdtv?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nyprospect, Jun 4, 2008.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Simple question.I picked up a refurb white iMac and i was wondering if using elgato and watching live tv on it would heat up the imac and kill the cpu.Should i get a hdtv(cheap)or elgato hybrid.money is an issue.I can only spend about 250 for a tv.A 15 inch lcdtv maybe or the hybrid? thanks

2. rdhazrd macrumors newbie

If heat is an issue, and the hybrid will heat it up some but not too bad (I run one on a mini 24/7), I would get an eyeTV 250+. You can get last years model for the same price as a new hybrid. The 250+ doesn't rely on your processor nearly as much as the hybrid. If you go to http://elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/buy.en.html and scroll down to refurbs you'll see the 2007 models are $50 less than the 2008 models. The main difference is that the 2007 models don't receive Clear QAM from digital cable.
    Hope that helps.

3. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks alot for the link and advice.I want to try it out.I just thought having an 20 inch hdtv and an imac in my small room was over kill.Thanks though i have more thinking to do.Have a great weekend.

4. andejp12 macrumors member

I just wanted to pipe up and say that I love my eyetv 250+ When I first hooked it up I told it to do a through scan of all the stations that were available to me and I actually get a number of digital cable channels that include the very few HD channels that are offered by my cable provider.

It may seem like a bit much to have the HDTV in your room but it's also a matter of taking a regular TV out of your room then. I personally have the 24" in my bedroom almost directly across from my bed and it's a perfect size, if you can swing it I'd highly recommend it as it's a great way to record shows that you want to watch and won't be around for. It really acts better than the DVR that I have through my cable provider, esp. since it will output it to an iPod friendly format.

Good luck thinking this one through.

5. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow that's awesome.Im only worried about taxing my imac.I probably will sell my tv and buy the 250.Thanks for the excellent reply!