Elgato Hybrid+Sky

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brendano, Apr 14, 2007.

1. brendano macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have just got a iMac 24in and want to connect Elgato Hybrid to my SKY box.
    I am in Ireland.
    Anyone help PLEASE.
    I have tried to tune in for both digitial and analog but cant find ANY channels.
    Connecting to the SKY box is my last option, but I dont know how to do it.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

2. FuzzyinLondon macrumors newbie

I don't think you can pick up the channel that way. You have to come out of one of the Sky box Scart connections (probably the one that would usually use to hook up to the VCR) and using a SCART to Phono adapter, hook up to the Hybrid via the adapter it gives you for hooking up a games console and such things. You will not be able to control the Sky boc through the Hybrid, only view it.

3. brendano thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that. Does it mean that I need a scart and coaxial cable. WIth a scart going to the SKY box and the coaxial to the elgato?
    Excuse my ignorance, but I have never hooked up a games console or anything else.
    Thanks

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hi brendano :) I'm in Kerry - so if you dont mind the help of a Kerryman I can offer some advice ;) :D

You should be able to connect your hybrid 2 ways, but I'm wondering if you expect to be able to tune sky into your hybrid. Although it's DTT that is not Sky, and the only way to recieve sky is via Analogue via RHF lead or via a phono yellow video lead.

On the back of the Sky box there are 3 RHF sockets. 1 for Aerial in, and 2 for Aerial out TV and a spare one for TV in a different room.

You would need to connect a standard RHF lead from the aerial out 1 or 2 on the back of the sky box into your Hybrid.

Then allow the hybrid / eye TV software to scan, and it should find 1 TV channel.

You will not recieve Sky nativly on the mac with the hybrid, all your receiving is the 1 channel signal via RHF (same as a TV would).

Alternativly if the picture quality is not great via RHF, you can use Composite Phono. However most Sky boxes do not have composite out, so you will have to get a SCART adpater which allows scart output to phono. You can pick them up cheap in somewhere like HarveyNormans for about €5.

Then with the yellow (video) and red and white (audio) cables connect them to the adapter that came with the Hybrid and simply change your EYE TV source to Composite AV1 or whatever its called.

You will still have to change channels etc with the Sky remote and the HYBRID DTT part (Digital Terestrial TV) is absolutely no use in Ireland at the moment as we do not have DTT broadcasting, and by the time the government role it out we will be dead and buried.

Good luck.

MRU

5. brendano thread starter macrumors newbie

Always good to get advice off a Kerryman!
    Thanks for that...now any advice on how to get Sam back???!!!
    I'll try that and get back to you.
    Thanks again.

6. brendano thread starter macrumors newbie

post went thru twice. Edited like this.

7. brendano thread starter macrumors newbie

hi a quick question:
    Does the SKY box need to be connected to the wall TV connector. Or will the EYE TV connector do?
    Probably a silly question, I know, but all of this is new to me.
    I still cant get any channels.
    TA

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Power? Yes it needs to be plugged in.

Just run through somthing.

Run the eyeTV.

Click on EyeTV from menu bar and then
    Go into 'preferences' and choose 'devices'

Make sure it says

Elegato. and then underneath

EyeTV Hybrid

Then here is where you may be going wrong.

Make sure that ANALOG is selected. By default Digital will be selected.

Then let it find channels again and you should be sorted. In theory ;)

9. brendano thread starter macrumors newbie

ya :) it is plugged in.
    But my question was does the TV coaxial need to be plugged into the TV socket in the wall; or is it ok to detach it from that and to bring the box up to the computer and to attach the coaxial from the box to the Elgato, and then run the auto tune.
    The damn thing is driving me mad. It must be something small that I am doing wrong.
    OK, here is exactly what I am doing.
    I plug the SKY box in.
    Then I attach the coaxial that runs from the box to the elgato hybrid which is usb attached to iMac.
    then I run the set up wizard and I have run it for ALL options (even choosing UK as country too)...and zilch...nothing.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks for your help.

10. brendano thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry to bump this, but if i dont get it working by tomorrow I will have to return the product.
    and I really want this to work.

11. brendano thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry to bump this, but if i dont get it working by tomorrow I will have to return the product.
    and I really want this to work.

12. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Usually, the coax cable that runs from your Sky box to the wall is what connects the box to the satellite dish on your roof. Without that, you won't get any channels.

So that needs to stay connected.

Then you run a cable - like a composite RCA cable (or SCART if you have that) - from the Sky's output to the input of the Hybrid device.

I'm really just repeating what the others have tried to explain to you, but with different wording!

13. brendano thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. Just needed to be sure.
    Brendan