Elgato Hybrid TV Tuner: 2 Channels at Same Time?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by legaleye3000, Dec 9, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

With the Elgato Hybrid TV Tuner, can it record 2 channels at once? If not, can you buy 2 TV Tuners and will the software then record 2 channels? Thanks

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You'll have to double check this ...

The EyeTV Hybrid only has the hardware for a single tuner. I don't think the EyeTV 3 software supports running two Hybrids for simultaneous viewing/recording. I've read that many have gotten it to work, but it's not official. NOTE - they may have updated the software to fix this.

Alternatively, you might want to look into an HD HomeRun. It's a dual-tuner networkable device and works with EyeTV 3, supporting both tuners simultaneously. Keep in mind, it's only an ATSC/QAM tuner, so you won't be able to transcode analog devices (i.e. VCRs, camcorders, etc) with it like you would with the Hybrid.

EDIT - check out this link

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

That link was created in April 08... A year and a half and no update? Thanks for the info!

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yeah, like I said, you'll have to double check. You'll likely have better luck getting this question answered on El Gato's discussion forums. The El Gato guys that post there are quite knowledgeable. I'm guessing that the forums would have more up to date info than the FAQ.

If they have updated the software to fully support dual-tuners, I'd expect to see an answer on their forum.