Elgato Hybrid TV Tuner: 2 Channels at Same Time?

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
With the Elgato Hybrid TV Tuner, can it record 2 channels at once? If not, can you buy 2 TV Tuners and will the software then record 2 channels? Thanks

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
With the Elgato Hybrid TV Tuner, can it record 2 channels at once? If not, can you buy 2 TV Tuners and will the software then record 2 channels? Thanks
You'll have to double check this ...

The EyeTV Hybrid only has the hardware for a single tuner. I don't think the EyeTV 3 software supports running two Hybrids for simultaneous viewing/recording. I've read that many have gotten it to work, but it's not official. NOTE - they may have updated the software to fix this.

Alternatively, you might want to look into an HD HomeRun. It's a dual-tuner networkable device and works with EyeTV 3, supporting both tuners simultaneously. Keep in mind, it's only an ATSC/QAM tuner, so you won't be able to transcode analog devices (i.e. VCRs, camcorders, etc) with it like you would with the Hybrid.

EDIT - check out this link

Comment

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
That link was created in April 08... A year and a half and no update? Thanks for the info!

Comment

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
That link was created in April 08... A year and a half and no update? Thanks for the info!
Yeah, like I said, you'll have to double check. You'll likely have better luck getting this question answered on El Gato's discussion forums. The El Gato guys that post there are quite knowledgeable. I'm guessing that the forums would have more up to date info than the FAQ.

If they have updated the software to fully support dual-tuners, I'd expect to see an answer on their forum.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.