Elgato Hybrid TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jesteraver, May 6, 2007.

1. jesteraver macrumors 6502

I am planing on getting the Hybrid TV from Elgato. I am wondering I have an A/V receiver to drive my 5.1 speakers. If I plug the Elgato into my iMac just for the video and plug the dish into the receiver, it will work properly or I have to plug the dish into the break-out cable that Elgato is shipping with it.

Thanks

2. jesteraver thread starter macrumors 6502

I just read Elgato wont let me watch HDTV, will only be SDTV. Any systems out there for Apple that I can actually watch HDTV 720p?

3. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

I think you need to say why you think this, because it works fine for me. The device itself has to support it, but EyeTV Hybrid is able to record over the air HDTV programs, and the included EyeTV program lets you watch in HD or play recordings.

The main limitation may be if you have a single processor PPC computer, particularly older G4s and G3s are probably too weak. A faster single G4 or single G5 might do it, I don't know.

4. jesteraver thread starter macrumors 6502

I am switching to a Mac Pro or newer iMac in October so I wont have a problem. From what I read the HDTV will be OTA or FTA one of two two. Thing is I want the HDTV direct from my satellite dish.

I was t hinking to myself how do some people record HDTV 720 or 1080 and use torrents, than after it hit me probably using a PVR and what not.

Guess I will be stuck watching tv in SDTV on my mac until Elgato figures out by 2009 to let me watch HDTV direct from my satellite dish

5. phil83 macrumors regular

Miglia

My TVMini HD by Miglia lets me watch in 1080 and 720, but it only does digital. You want to check that out ;)

6. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

I missed that. The closest thing may be the Intensity Pro, which can record analog HD, but it is missing a lot of pieces to make it useful as a PVR, namely channel control and timer recording. Some sat boxes have been hacked to have a firewire output for HD, but they are still missing the same two critical pieces, channel control and timed recording.

7. jesteraver thread starter macrumors 6502

I can get that also with the elgato, but I need an antenna :(

Here in Canada, especially here in Montreal we dont get alot of HDTV (from a rod antenna) most of the HDTV is coming from a satellite / cable receiver.