Elgato, or the worst buying experiance ever

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AENAON, Aug 28, 2007.

1. AENAON macrumors member

AENAON

Ok this is the chain of emails that goes on for a month now that I've been trying to get a Turbo h.264 to ship, paid it twice and never got anything!

Am I doing something wrong?
    Is this happening only in the european store?
    Do you have a similar experience?
    Is Elgato a just big scum and nothing more to it?
    So, here it goes:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 28 2007

Ok, I'm getting pissed!
    Its been almost 20 days that you're supposed to have cleared up what happend with my purchase and there's no sign of the product, are you sending it with a pigeon??
    and even worse, its been almost a month that the money on the 1st purchase that didnt go through havent came back.
    This is officially the worst online shopped Ive ever dealt with! %#$%$@#^%
    Do I have to call a lawyer to get this thing done??

On 8/20/07, Flint Keith <lezeroun@gmail.com> wrote:

So...
    A week later, and the amount of money (not) spent from my account that I made the 1st (unsuccessful) try is not released back into my account. Is it time to call up worldpay?

On Aug 13, 2007, at 3:59 PM, ShopMaster wrote:

> Nice to meet you George (aka KF) ;-)
    >
    > Your bank is right - they cannot do anything, only we can, and I did - just like I told you ;-)
    >
    > So again, order no. 19232 was released and WorldPay will charge your credit card with the amount of € 127.05. The transaction number for that is 260289860
    >
    > So all you have to do now, is lean back and wait for the Turbo.264 to arrive.
    >
    > Sorry I didn't make myself clearer min my previous mail.
    >
    > Astrid
    >
    >
    > On 13.08.2007, at 14:51, Flint Keith wrote:
    >
    >> Thx, my name is George, Keiht Flint is an alias (the singer of the Prodigy :D )
    >> Anw, I called up my bank and asked them to release my first order and they cant, only ur billing service can.
    >> So, if my second try went through successfully on the 9th i think from my xxxx6015 card, can you please contact worldpay to release the amount on my xxx7104 card, i think it was early last week, the 6th? Or else, as my bank told me, it will take a month to time-out and then it maaay be possible to release it :S
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On Aug 13, 2007, at 1:15 PM, ShopMaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello Mr. Komninos aka Mr. Flint (???),
    >>>
    >>> Sorry about the lack of communication, we had quite a few problems with our server last week, but hope to have them resolved shortly.
    >>>
    >>> Your order 19232 was just released and will ship today. Again my apologies for the hassle and thank you very much for understanding.
    >>>
    >>> Greetings from Munich,
    >>> Astrid Yingst
    >>>
    >>> On 10.08.2007, at 17:22, Keith Flint wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Hi there, its been a few days now, and nothing has happened, let me recap
    >>>>
    >>>> 1. I used my netcard to buy a Turbo h.264, the amount of money were immediately made unavailable in my card, but no confirmation of my purchase has come yet (I logged in ur site but still said i never bought anything)
    >>>> 2. After ur advice, I used my actual visa to place a purchase, for the second time, but then it gave me an error that as u described was not ur prob, and someone from the billing company would contact me, but that never happened. Again, the amount of money has been immediately been been made unavailable, in my normal visa's account this time
    >>>>
    >>>> So that leaves me paying for a turbo twice and not receiving the product or even a confirmation. I hate to be complaining and I just want the d**n thingy :p
    >>>> Can u please look into this, contact WorldPay if u have to or something? I mean Im not too keen on net shopping but elgato is supposed to be a "just works" company. Is it so complicated to buy something for ur website?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> On 8/8/07, ShopMaster <shopmaster@elgato.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Hello again,
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks for the detailed information. This is completely out of our hands and up to our credit card company WorldPay, whom you received the confirmation from.
    >>>> All I know is, if your credit card is refused there should be a pop-up window, which tells you so, if you're patient for a few minutes after you entered all your information and confirmed them.
    >>>>
    >>>> So please do try again, using a different card.
    >>>>
    >>>> I forwarded below to the person responsible and will probably receive a reply by tomorrow.
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks again and have a nice evening,
    >>>> Astrid Yingst
    >>>> Elgato Systems GmbH
    >>>>
    >>>> On 08.08.2007, at 17:42, Keith Flint wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I got the following error :
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> HTTP Status 404 - /aequitas/canceled.asp
    >>>>>
    >>>>> type Status report
    >>>>>
    >>>>> message /aequitas/canceled.asp
    >>>>>
    >>>>> description The requested resource (/aequitas/canceled.asp) is not available.
    >>>>> Apache Tomcat/4.1.27
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On 8/8/07, Keith Flint <lezeroun@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Are you sure? Im definately sure my "netcard" available balance became came down with excatly with the amount of my purchase. Anyway, I'll take your word for it and try again using my actual (not so secure :S card)... Just please keep in mind that if some reason both cards work, I actually want one of turbos :)
    >>>>> Thx for the quick reply!
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On 8/8/07, ShopMaster < shopmaster@elgato.com> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Hello Mr. Komninos,
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Thanks for your mail. No, we're not on holiday. As far as I can tell your order was not processed because your credit card was refused.
    >>>>> There will not be a charge to your credit card.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> If you'd like to order again, please either use a different card or choose payment in advance.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> My apologies for any inconvenience caused and thanks for your understanding.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Greetings from Munich,
    >>>>> Astrid Yingst
    >>>>> Elgato Systems GmbH
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On 08.08.2007, at 16:52, Keith Flint wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Hi there, I made an online order 3 days ago for a Turbo h.264, the money were taken form my bank account, an email that said that my order was taken but not verified or something came, but nothing ever since (!)
    >>>>>> Are u on holidays? Is there something wrong? I tried logging in the online shop, and said there are no orders at all...
    >>>>>> If there is something wrong, will I get my money back at least?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> On 8/6/07, shopmaster@elgato.com < shopmaster@elgato.com> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Dear Customer,
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Please find attached your login and password for the Elgato Online Shop
    >>>>>> To login to your account or change your account details:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Login: xxxxx
    >>>>>> Password: xxxxxxxx
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Your Elgato Team
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Elgato Systems GmbH
    >>>>>> Nymphenburger Str. 14
    >>>>>> D-80335 München
    >>>>>> T +49-(0)89-143339-0
    >>>>>> F +49-(0)89-143339-99
    >>>>>> www.elgato.com
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Amtsgericht München
    >>>>>> HRB 108591
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Geschäftsführer
    >>>>>> Dr. Markus Fest
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>
    >

2. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I don't know, maybe because they are not based in the U.S. I'm just speculating.

You should have purchased it from Amazon or Macsales.com :cool:

3. AENAON thread starter macrumors member

AENAON

That's sadly true, i never had a prob with macsales.com but i didnt even think about it as I was on elgato's site when I decided to do it :S

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

H.264 Is Overrated

Personally I don't like H.264 because not everyone can decode it. I'd rather use Handbrake to encode FFMPEG versions of NON H.264 mp4 movies that look just as great in smaller file sizes.

5. AENAON thread starter macrumors member

AENAON

Well I counld't care less if my video files are windows compatible but anyway all codec packs for windows have h.264 support, not to metion QuickTime for windows.

At least for the bitrate ranges of 1000-2000kbs that I've extensively tested h.264 is actually way superior to DivX/Xvid/WMV. Only downside is its higher CPU usage