Elgato question -- editing in iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TVreporter25, Aug 5, 2008.

1. TVreporter25 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm mulling a purchase of the Elgato Eyetv 250 plus.

My intent is to record local news broadcasts -- with the hope of exporting the shows to a file format usable in iMovie or perhaps Final Cut Express. (I'm a reporter and want to make a reel of my work)

Could anyone with some know-how tell me whether this will A) work and B) whether the quality will be passable for ultimately taking those edited clips from iMovie and putting them on a DVD.

I've searched many reviews and posts and none seems to answer my question directly.

Anyone have experience using Elgato products for this sort of repurposing? Is it a pain? OR is there a better product out there? I'm NEW to MAC and loving this so far -- two days in!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Cheers!

2. foshizzle macrumors regular

i have been using eyetv software/hardware for about a year now. I just received the eyetv hybrid (with clearQAM suport) and the quality is fantastic. I recorded some HD clips from a local news broadcast yesterday (that broadcasts in full HD). and it looks awesome on my 15" MBP screen. The new eyetv 3 software is incredible.

As to your question, yes this is absolutely possible. set a schedule to record, like a DVR, then have it export to the format of your choice (exports are fully customized, or can be used with built-in presets). Pull the new file into FCE or iMovie. Quality is great.

I'd go for the purchase. I also bought the turbo.264 to go with my hybrid. This makes for faster exporting to the h.264 format and when exporting for wifi access (to stream to iphone/itouch over wifi).

Maybe take a look at the HDHomerun (also from elgato). The only other difference is that the 250 does hardware encoding. But with the HDHomerun you'll get dual HD tuners on the network.