elgato Turbo.264 released

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by speakerwizard, May 16, 2007.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

2. dr01dy macrumors member

thats cool I find that if you just export to MPEG4 stream from eyetv and encode in VisualHub it works out well. I will have to pick this up and try it out.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/524/

Not even plug-in support? :mad:

4. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

The guys at handbrake have said there will be NO support for this at all, they are keeping it all open source and not prepared to integrate quicktime, :( boo, though apparently the bundled software can encode unprotected dvds :) have to wait and hear about the results

5. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

Why does this product not look interesting? I have the HybridTv which has software to encode to AppleTv format. People can use Handbrake to encode as well.

Is this product really worth it? The main feature seems to be that it can save a couple hours of encoding time.

To those of you who are more knowledgeable - what is your take on this product?

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I find that my old EyeTV 200 firewire does fine and it's hardware based.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wow, I LOVE it. Looks like a great product! I would buy one.

I just have to wait to see how the workflow would be like if one uses this to encode DVDs into h.264. (By DVDs I mean commercial, protected DVDs, not the pansies you create at home. ;) )

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The thing is that Quicktime encoding speed is so pathetic that it needs a boost. Visual Hub is so much faster using open source libraries.

9. Jowl macrumors 6502

Is that what slows down EyeTV? I find that very slow on my Macbook 1.83/1gb RAM (for an 1.5/2 hours recorded program)

THe Turbo gadget looks interesting but I would prefer it to be supported by 3rd parties - especially Handbrake

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If EyeTV is using Quicktime to encode that probably explains it.

I can't see why Elgato can't just make documentation for third parties to take advantage of the Turbo h.264.

11. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

probably so people dont use it with competing tv dvr software and only with eyetv, shame really

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I could see this as being great for a DVR-replacement Mac Mini at some point, as the software improves. EyeTV and this in the back, a larger hard drive, and some setup work, and you could make it so that, on insert of a video DVD, perhaps, it automatically rips / stores / ejects in a way that it will be available to Front Row. Now you've got an iTunes jukebox + DVR + HD-based DVD player + record output to DVD-R. :) Of course, it'll end up costing about $1000 by the time you get all three of those things.... ;)

13. fall3n macrumors 6502

For someone who just wants to watch TV on their computer with good quality and maaaaybe occasionally record something, would this be an ideal candidate?

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'd need something to record/watch television with on your computer first.

15. fall3n macrumors 6502

Ah, I didn't even check that it's just an encoder :p , was assuming it was like the coaxial input one.

16. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

ordered mine

Tired of having my G4 tower run overnight to encode a couple of hours of TV. Except for encoding eyetv and AppleTV play very nice together.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's from the same company that makes the most popular TV adaptors (e.g. EyeTV Hybrid), but it's a separate product.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Elgato would be more then happy to sell you another of their products. (a.k.a TV Tuners for Mac) :D

Make sure you have USB 2.0 ports.

19. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

personally i think eyetv could do with allowing us to record in a few different codecs, like alchemytv used to, for when you dont need maximum quality but would like something encoded quickly. (or not re-encoded at all)

20. ageis macrumors newbie

Compressor and Quicktime Broadcaster

Think it will be compatable with either of these?
    It looks like form all the apps that the turbo is selectable via the export dropdown, although compressor and broadcaster don't use that... they use a codec dropdown.

It would be HUGE if it did support these two, and hopefully it will cause they're both 100% quicktime based!

21. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Any program with an export dialogue like the one attached can use Turbo.264 (by selecting one of the Turbo.264 presets from the list).

Other programs will not be able to use it (eg Toast, Handbrake, Crunch etc) because you can't select the correct preset.

Attached Files:

22. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I don't think it will work with Compressor, never used Quicktime Broadcaster, but that may work.

23. Tinlad macrumors member

I'm still hoping that Apple will enable H.264 acceleration via the GPU in Leopard. Wouldn't be much help for MacBook owners, but the X1600 in the MBP would speed up encoding and decoding considerably.

24. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Bare Feats is going to benchmark the turbo264 as soon as they get it (i emailed them) looking forward to seeing real world results

25. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

im already hearing early reports of this thing as being pretty pointless on new machines unless you wish to free up your cpu to do 'other things' whilst encoding, but if you have a g4 (g5 even) its probably a god send, just waiting on bare feats