Elgato Turbo.264 vs. Mac Pro 2.66ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macenforcer, May 31, 2007.

1. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Well got my Turbo.264 in today. Did a speed test vs my Mac Pro.

Mac Pro specs
    Quad 2.66ghz Xeons, 5gb ram, 500gb 7200rpm HD

Mac Mini
    1.66ghz core duo, 2gb ram, 100gb 7200rpm HD

- Mac Pro Video sample pulled from 500gb 7200rpm HD internal.
    - Mac Mini Video sample pulled from 250gb 7200rpm HD firewire external.
    - Video sample. 1hr and 1min.
    - Compressing to ipod default 640x480 H.264

TIMES

- Mac Pro 1:07:37
    - Turbo 1:20:17

So not as fast as a Mac Pro but not bad. Despite what people say, the Turbo does use 60% of your cpu while in use. That is for both cores. Fans spin to 3840rpm in the mini.

So basically not a great option if you have a mac pro but not bad.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Does in do anything to boost the performance of encoding on the Mac Pro? I can't imagine it does, but it's essentially giving you Mac Pro encoding power on a Mac Mini which is 1/5 the cost...sounds like a good deal to me.

3. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

You know it might since the cpu's were being used on the mac mini. I will try it after dinner.

4. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Well I walked in my office and it was finished and the timer said 1hr 12min. So don't know how long it took. Last I looked at it was at 47min and it was 75% done. I would say not much of a speedup on the mac pro if any. Too bad. This Turbo is only good if you have an older mac.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Er, I think you meant if you don't have a $2500+ Mac. A brand new mini, MacBook, or iMac would benefit from one of these.

Anyways, I was hoping you, or someone, could post a sample of the AppleTV preset video somewhere... maybe something from a DVD source, just a few seconds would be enough (15-30).

I'm a bit concerned about the quality levels, and would like to see it 'in action', all I can find are still of video which don't tell the whole story. I wish they'd offer a way to make custom presets. It'd be particularly nice to not only specify a bitrate but also get 2-pass encoding out of this thing (if that's possible) evem if the first pass had to be CPU run to generate the log file, and then pass all that along to the encoder.