Elgato TV Tuner and EyeTV3 software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GNice, Jan 24, 2008.

1. GNice macrumors 6502

I never had a TV tuner as a Windows user over the years so I don't have a frame a reference, but I absolutely love my eyetv 250 plus and the eyetv3 software. Not only is watching live TV on my mac great, but the ability to add a "second DVR" with editing capabilities totally kicks butt. I know there are TV tuners for the PC by ATI and others, but I can't imagine they can touch this combo. Waaay cool and a breeze to setup!

2. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Did you have EyeTV2 installed? If so, what are the main differences you have enjoyed between the two versions?

I've got EyeTV2 but haven't look into upgrading yet.

3. GNice thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope...got it a couple days ago and it shipped with eyetv3.

4. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

I'm quite disapointed with the eyeTV 3 update, while it is better, it is no way near as bigger jump as eyeTV 1-2

it would be great to see true integration with front row, i dont know if front row 2 allows this?

i do like the new scroll bar system

I am using a Cinergy T2 system, which works great, however has an anoying blue light that always comes on when my mac is in standby, so every time i want to sleep, i gotta unplug it, not a big problem, just a minor anoyance!!

5. gills69ca macrumors newbie

I don't think you'll see Front Row integration, I'm sure Apple wouldn't allow it. If it were possible to do, it would have been done by now.

EyeTV 2 had a lot of amazing free updates during its run, and I'm sure that Elgato plans the same for EyeTV 3. EyeTV 3 is a huge step forward with some fantastic features - I love it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

6. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Brilliant!

Smart TV recording!

tell eyetv3 a search criteria, and it will tell you what programms fit it, and can even automatically record them for you- basically turning your eyetv setup into a tivo alike.

Brilliant! :cool:

7. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

EyeTv 3 is more polished. Nothing revolutionary, but nicer to use.

Specific things I like in version 3:

1) I like the black t.v. channel information box instead of the blue one in version 2.
    2) When you export something to AppleTV it automatically imports it into iTunes. Before I would export to the desktop and then manually import into iTunes. (On second thought, It may be that EyeTv 2 can do this as well)
    3) When you choose a channel by hitting a number a box comes up listing all the channels and what is currently on. Very nice!
    4) When watching a recorded show there is a clear looking line display that demonstrates where you are in the program.
    5) Improved searching for a program in the channel guide - a season pass type feature which will record any show by title, description, etc. it ever finds.

If you are getting the new EyeTv Hybrid, you can also pick up unencrypted QAM HDTV from your local cable company. This is normally local stations.

8. mac2mac macrumors member

Well seems like the new front row does allow plugins.
    Take a look at this eyetv plugin for frontrow:
    http://web.mac.com/paul_and_sally/FrontTV/Download.html

9. Paulickb macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me use the eyeTV with a comcast cable box? I can view the channels but only change them through the cable box and not the eyeTV software and not use the software to record shows.
    Thank you for any tips you can give me.

10. Motley macrumors 6502

You need an ir blaster from the mac to control the cable box.

From el gato's site here's info on compatible ir blasters and SW.