Elgato Video Capture First Use

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AMessy, Aug 2, 2009.

1. AMessy macrumors member

I used the elgato video capture this weekend for the first time to transfer video from VHS to DVD for a family member. This system worked flawlessly with my MacBook Pro. I really couldn't believe how user friendly the elgato software is to use. Needless to say I am very happy with how the project turned out, I used the RCA input and there was no loss in quality over the original VHS video.

I may be in the market for a TV tuner in the future and will certainly look to elgato, the whole experience seemed very "mac like" if that makes any sense.

2. jakerules133 macrumors member

I actually ordered the roxio easy vhs to dvd for mac about a week ago. It only allowed me to record in mpeg 2, which I couldn't edit in fce4 or anything else for that matter. I didn't want to spend 30 dollars on a that mp3g 2 playback software so I returned it and ordered the elgato capture device. It's actually coming tomorrow.

If there is was a way to work with mpeg 2 in fce4 I would have rather done it that way because the video would have been higher quality (well I'm guessing it would have because it wasn't compressing at all).

So with the elgato capture device I can save it as h.264 and then work with it right away.

3. AMessy thread starter macrumors member

I just saved everything in h.264 then edited with iMovie and burned with iDVD. Video editing is not somthing do often so the iLife suite seemed to work just fine.

I was just amazed at how user friendly it was.