Elgato Video Capture question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Moof1904, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I'm interested in hooking my AT&T uVerse to my mac so that I can watch tv on my Mac and occasionally archive some things onto my Mac. I know that the Elgato EyeTV 250 Plus will do this, but it's more than I need since the uVerse box is already a DVR.

Basically what I'm wondering is this: in addition to its recording functions, will the Elgato Video Capture allow me to watch live video while I use the uVerse to handle all the DVR functionality?

2. billib macrumors member

billib

Cable Heaven

I'm not familiar with the uVerse.
    But let me describe what I do.
    It may be informative (helpful).

I use the Elgato 250 Plus and
    the Elgato Hybrid.
    I can watch one show
    while recording another show
    and edit a previously recorded show
    all at the same time.

So, to answer your question,
    You probably can do both like me.
    They should work independently
    of each other. I'm using two Elgatos
    and you will be using two also
    just different brands.

The Elgato will capture its feed to
    whatever HD you point it to and the
    uVerse will capture its feed to its HD.

3. billib macrumors member

billib

QUOTE:
    What I'm wondering is this: in addition to its recording functions, will the Elgato Video Capture allow me to watch live video while I use the uVerse to handle all the DVR functionality? END QUOTE

I read the info on Elgatos web page and it appears to me that you can NOT watch in real time what "Video Capture" is capturing. If it did, I believe Elgato would shout it from the mountain tops.

Since cost is a concern, get on OWC's mailing list. When they have deals and close outs they will eMail you. I bought an Elgato Hybrid for $79. It will capture whatever the 250 will. It will use your Mac's Processor because the Hybrid doen't have one like the 250. The EyeTV software costs about the same as the Referb and is included so its like getting the software (or hardware) for FREE.

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/elgato