elgato's eyetv hybrid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbcollins93, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mbcollins93 macrumors member

mbcollins93

hi, i am going to get a macbook pro sometime after September 9. i was wondering what y'all thought about eyetv hybrid. this is something that i am thinking about getting, and i kind of want this thread to go more like a poll/review than you answering my question. maybe like rate it 1 out of 10. also please tell me about the quality. i know the quality cant be anywhere near a real tv but is it any good.
    thanks a lot.
    cheers

2. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Elgato - Nice product

You chould consider getting the Eye 250 Plus. It includes the hardware to do the video encoding which means your mac does not have to do it.

The software is the same with all their devices. The software is pretty slick.

3. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

yeah

i might get plus ihave been looking at that to.

4. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Everything and anything you're looking for is probably on here

Btw, bookmark Mroogle, it'll come in useful more than once

b.

5. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

??????

also does eyetv hybrid come with an antenna. i have seen other thing like this for pc come with a external antenna.

6. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Antenna quality drives the experience

Also the area you are in for over the air reception. I installed a large TV antenna in the attic of the house and we get about 12 stations really well. Rabbit ears are going to be less sensitive to the broadcast signal and so may not provide as many channels.

It would be a shame to have a nice digital tuner and PVR and then a cheapo antenna.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have the pinnacle HDTV stick which works ok. You may be able to score the PC version for cheap (i paid full price, then it was available for TEN dolalrs!) , but the mac version , which is the same hardware but different software, will run you an additional $40.

8. mchank macrumors regular

No, doesn't come with an antenna.

9. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

If the OP means aerial then yes it does.

I've used the little aerial while in central london and I got about 80% of the channels with ~90% signal quality.

Attached Files:

10. mchank macrumors regular

The European version does, but the North American version doesn't.

11. newbie jnr macrumors member

I've been going to get one, especially since the eyeTV hybrid has just been updated. Only reason i haven't got one is because my computer store on campus hasn't got them in (or put them on the shelf at least).

They do come with a little antenna...but for best reception/range of channels, i'd hook it up to a good external antenna when possible.

Will post back when i get one.

12. kevo0822 macrumors regular

... I bought mine from Amazon in March and it definitely came with an antenna... I was at school in Boston.

13. jtbell macrumors newbie

The (North American) Hybrid that I bought last week didn't come with an antenna, nor does the "What's in the Box" page in the "Quick Start Guide" list one. No problem for me, I use a rooftop antenna and I already split the signal several ways to feed various devices. I simply unscrewed the antenna cable from one device that I wasn't using at the moment, connected it to the Hybrid, and voilà!

14. tonyr100 macrumors newbie

In terms of antenna, yes the European version comes with one but it is safest to assume the reception will be inadequate using it. Someone above mentioned it worked fine in London, and whilst that may be so, I also live in London and the reception for me was unacceptable. Hooking it up to a rood antenna works a treat though.

In terms of getting the 250, yes it does encoding for you but as I understand if you have a recent Mac (eg intel dual core), you will be fine with the Hybrid version as your machine is powerful enough to do the processing for the encoding. The Hybrid however does not come with the VCR conversion step-by -step process, and recording from VCR on the hybrid is therefore done manually.

Plenty more stuff on this if you google for it.

good luck