Eligibility - Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajones46, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, looking for some help here.

I think I may be SOL... My brother had the iPhone 3GS and was eligible for the full upgrade pricing on the iPhone 4 - so he preordered his no problem. I wanted the white one so I was going to wait until it became available, but until then I was just going to use my brother's old 3GS temporarily until the white iPhone 4 became available. We wanted to open up a family plan cause it'd be cheaper, might as well save some cash asap, ya know?

I chatted online and in store with an ATT rep to make sure that if we went this route, I would still be able to get the white iPhone 4 at the full subsidy, when it became available. I didn't want to use his 3GS forever. Both responses were "Yes, 100%. You can get the best price on the iPhone 4 whenever you like, since you'll be bringing your own hardware." Which is what I figured, since that was the whole point of a 2 yr contract - subsidized phone for 2 yr service.

Just checked my upgrade eligibility online and says I'm not eligible until 06/2012! I called Customer Care and was told there was nothing they could do. I even saved my conversation with the ATT rep online in case something like this happened. I was instructed to go to the ATT store where we opened up the line and either "Return my handset" or just cancel my line completely. I was furious! Return my handset? WHY?! I already own it! Then I get the generic response of "I'm sorry sir, there's nothing else I can do."

Is there anything else I can do? I almost feel like I've been scammed out of $400?

2. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

If you opened your line with an existing phone & did not buy another phone at the 2-year price, then you should not be under any contract. When you opened the line, did you do so at the store?

3. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

That was exactly what I figured, and yes I opened it at the ATT store.

4. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Sounds like there is some bits missing from this story, maybe you need to walk thru all the facts again, not calling you a liar, but you might want to goto a Corporate AT&T store with that print out and talk to a manager.

Sometimes talking to 2-4 different ppl helps you square things away.

5. jasonc11 macrumors newbie

Had a very similar situation and you are not screwed.

You will need to speak with the manager at the location where you added the line. The line which you opened with the existing 3GS should not have been committed to a contract since you used your own existing equipment.

The manager at the store will be able to work with you on this and do a manual override for the iPhone 4 upgrade. Don't bother calling into AT&T or Apple as neither of them will be able to provide this solution.

6. cfink macrumors member

So just to clarify - you opened your new Family Plan with your brothers old 3GS, thus not using the discount you get as a new activation?

I see your point of view but I can also see AT&T screwing you out of it.
    I can just hear them say, "Sir, the discount is to be applied at the time of contract initiation."

Think about it from AT&T's perspective - they've already got you locked in for two years...why allow you to upgrade now?

I would try speaking with a manager at an actual AT&T store (not an Authorized Retailer...those places are jokes), bring all of the documentation you have from the previous correspondance and go from there.

Did your brother upgrade to the iP4 during the new activation or beforehand?

Fink :apple:

7. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I kept on telling the ATT rep that I already own the phone, why is there a contract? He didn't have an answer. Very frustrating. I'm going to have to make a trip out to ATT...

What if I were to just cancel line. Isn't there a 30 day period without penalty?

8. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

He upgraded before. He actually had his old 3GS boxed up for a week before we even did anything. Then I convinced him that it'd be SO much cheaper to open up a family plan and split the costs. Now it's not looking so great haha.

9. theclueless macrumors member

if you dont have an att number, and you get a new number/port a number over, even when you bring your own hardware, you are still given a 2-year contract; if you have an old att number, doing a transfer of responsibility to your brother's plan with your att number will not extend the contract

10. cfink macrumors member

Since he upgraded before the new line/plan activation I wonder if he would be eligible for an upgrade? Have you guys checked that?
    If he is you can steal his upgrade (since he just got an iP4) for yourself and activate it under your number.

That's how I got my iP4 for the discounted price - I just stole an upgrade from another line on my family plan.

Fink :apple:

11. aneftp macrumors 601

Why didn't you just go the prepaid route with the used iPhone 3GS temporary for one month and block all data from the phone?

12. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wanted data and it wouldve saved my brother some cash.

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

So let's back up a minute and ask a little about your line. Did you already have an AT&T account before you started the FamilyTalk plan with your brother? If you already had an existing account that adds a level of complexity and we just need some more details about that line. How long did you have it? Who's name was the account in and did you do a Transfer of Billing Responsibility?

If this was a new "bring your own equipment" line that you just added in June 2010, it seems that the RSC just missed a step in the account setup step. You should have an unused "Equipment Upgrade" on your line but you are reporting that AT&T says no. Often when a FamilyTalk plan is created and you bring your own equipment the RSC just does not select the "No Contract" option in the system.

It is very simple to fix and since you are waiting on the White iPhone 4, you have a few days. Just request that the store submit a request to restore your "Equipment Upgrade Eligiblity". It normally takes less than 72 hours to complete.

If they say no, we need an exact answer as to why they don't think you are eligible for an equipment upgrade on a new line.

Dave

14. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try to post updates.